DYC Single Handed Race 18th April

Saturday 18th April
Devonport YC

A good end of season leg stretch around Rangi, Motutapu & Motuihe.
This is the last race in the HSS series, make sure you get your entries in.

We also have a no extras division if you want to keep things a bit more relaxed.

More details at http://www.dyc.org.nz/sailing/single.htm 
NOR at http://www.dyc.org.n...ShortHanded.htm 

Thanks to New World Devonport. 

Forecast looks great and the fleet does too.

Elliot1050 & Farr11.6 at the top end, down to a Stratus747 and last years winner Tack Hammer at the other end of the scale. Everything in between too so there should be a good match for all boats.

Make sure you get your entries in to be part of the fun.

Good fleet with the leaders back by 1.00. Some good squirts of breeze came with the rain and made for a quick trip once we were able to bear away at the top of Motutapu. Congratulations to Bryon (Revolution Blues) the only boat to fly a kite.

Yep, first 2 home just after midday, everyone in by about 1.30. Gale Force & Coppelia got home in the NW, then the S came through with H&H about 100m from the line in 3rd. A few good puffs with the rain but moderated pretty fast and there were blue skies by the time Rock Lobster finished.

Preliminary results below. Last columns are line place and handicap place.

Extras Div:

4786 Bondi Tram - Ross 930         0.750 9:00:00 12:46:08  3:46:08    2:49:36    5    4

5265 Revolution Blues - Ross 830 0.735 9:00:00 12:40:52   3:40:52    2:42:20   4    3

6940 Heaven 'n' Hell - Young 88    0.785 9:00:00 12:36:07  3:36:07    2:49:39    3    5

8359 Cool Change - Ross 8.5       0.760 9:00:00 12:46:16   3:46:16    2:51:58    6    6

9069 Tack Hammer - Tiller 6.7      0.720 9:00:00 DNF         DNF        DNF

6036 Rock Lobster - Stratus 747   0.660 9:00:00 13:31:00   4:31:00    2:58:52    10   8

3771 Oracle - Neson 32               0.780 9:00:00 12:54:56   3:54:56    3:03:15     7   10

4644 Wild - Farr 727                   0.650 9:00:00 13:24:48    4:24:48   2:52:07      9   7

6576 Crocodile - Elliot 770           0.725 9:00:00 13:10:58    4:10:58   3:01:57     8   9

4522 Coppelia - Farr 11.6            0.830 9:00:00 12:06:47    3:06:47   2:35:02     2   1

8044 Gale Force - Elliot 1050       0.835 9:00:00 12:05:41    3:05:41   2:35:03    1   2

No-Extras Div:

Ladybird 0.585 9:00:00 13:20:12 4:20:12 2:32:13 3 1

Tumua 0.677 9:00:00 13:15:10 4:15:10 2:52:45 2 2

Brer Fox 0.795 9:00:00 12:54:16 3:54:16 3:06:15 1 3

Tack Hammer - Thanks for your check-in during the race, hope all good. We saw you come up the harbour but have you down as a DNF. Let us know if any questions.

Thanks all for joining us.

Prizegiving is Friday 24th, Friday 1st of May 1830 at the DYC. We'd love to see you all down for a drink.

Thanks to the race sponsor New World Devonport

Good blast out there. Thanks DYC

Apologies to Cool Change for the port starboard, jib  had too many turns on the winch and it did not release. Bit of an effort doing penalty turns in that weather. Well done to the guys that can beat in weather, arrgh not me!  Took a bit water over the boat on the peaky ones behind Motutapu. Also a bit of a battle keeping Crocodiles's snout above the water surfing through Motuihe channel. Also a bit edgy doing 10 kn around the bottom of Motuihi in 5m of water by the lee - the things we do???  I think I passed the white cruiser boat about 3 times that race after losing lots of time to granny tacks and broaches in between. Auto pilot doing random things so tipped me over a few times. Discovered that one pin has verdigris type corrosion, not sure why (earth pin??). Now cleaned so hopefully I will have a pilot again!

See you next year!

good race for Oracle, really enjoyed it, though the results don't reflect this.

got down to the marina in plenty of time, but decided to clean the paddle wheel on the log, so i could atleast see my vmg.

as it turns out i was late starting by about 10 minutes which is the time taken to clean the log wheel. bummer. still i was happy to be out there as had had a

pretty hectic previous couple of months with building the 3rd level of our house, still not finished but has a roof now atleast. so was needing  a break and doing a solo race in 30 knots wind was just the ticket.

set off chasing the pack, and wasn't long before i passed the back markers. wind was probably up to 25 onthe nose by know and getting quite choppy going past rangi lighthouse, still oracle was in her element and i had passed about 6 boats by now, trucked along on lay line to motutapu northerly point in calmer water, leaving crocoidile way behind. the 2 masted yacht that i had passed was now pacing us in the calmer water. rounded the northerly end of motutapu and bore away with the kite on the bow with yachts ahead in my sights, as i had just had a rain squall and onthe back of it the wind died down to about 15/18 knts, just before the hoist tuned into now casting and heard tiri was at 35knots, so instead pole out the jib and waited only 5 minutes and we were off surfing up to 11/12 knots, having a great time running flat off. saw tack hammer so some wobbles and head home along with a cruiser from the non skinaker div ? wind was up more now to maybe 35 so waited for the jybe at motuihe till we were surfing at 12knots the swung the main over and then tidied up the jib/pole, reaching along behind motuihe wa nice for the tidy up and getting the kite off the bow. hardened up to get above browns island but not before tucking i a reef in the main. glad i did as it was quite blowing through gap there. gained a little on a boat ahead got past browns island and eased sheets abit and headed for bean rock, not that i could see it as another squall was upon us. only on the plotter. when it cleared i could see bean rock and boats coming down the harbour onthe opposite tack. shock the reef out and stayed south ready for the southerly wind. this hit just before bean rock and i could see 2 yachts under horth head had to tack over to clear. it was an easy reach in to the finish from there in 15 knots wind, the sun cam out just in time for a finishing beer. ended up 7th online but still last on handicap, would of been different if you take off the 10 minutes i was late. good thing was the rudder gudgeon repairs are holding fine after the last race  -route66. following are the broken bolts from the route 66 race that i pulled out of, you can see 2 had broken completly and the third was cracked, the fourth was stretched. rudder broken bolts.jpgrudder broken bolts-2.jpg

Another great end to the singlehanded racing season with DYC! I am racing the ANZAC 200 on Unitec II so will not be able to make the DYC prizegiving.

I'll get the Hauraki Singlehanded Series results sorted in the next few weeks and let everyone that raced know the prizegiving details... 

Start was the usual - Heaven'n'Hell getting off first and high; this time Crocodile and myself a bit behind with the big boats (Coppelia and Gale Force) both with good leward pin starts, which, by the way, thanks for that!

This race never fails to bring the weather, and this time the contrary tide helped clearing the harbour but made life hard for the little boats around Rangi lighthouse. Alas, was a good beat for me as I rounded Billy Goat Point in 4th, behind the big boats and Heaven'n'Hell and well clear of the next group - Bondi Tram, Cool Change, possibly Brer Fox. Had a cabin top vent fail and was taking on water each greenie - so had to fix that along the way!

Was not sure about the weather on the other side of Motutapu so waited to get the kite up, which did eventually happen, but the angle was not great on the chosen board. Had to choose between running flat and letting it rip and chose the latter - bursts to 14 and lots of 10+ surfing was fun but sending me toward the wrong side of Crusoe Rock. So drop the kite, only a little tear, get the gybe done, off surfing again under jib in the right direction. Great fun aside from noticing that one of my winch handles went for a swim. This race was getting expensive!

The kite run was great fun but probably not a gainer as both Bondi and Cool Change were closer at the bottom of Motuihe and Heaven'n'Hell was further ahead.

The rest of the race was a procession home on reach in the rain - aside from the 180o wind shift around North Head as noted. Surprised that the others did not catch up; heavy winds always help the R830 seem a bit bigger. Finish was in the bright sun, happy with the effort. 

And for those that made it this far please PM me if you have any burning desires for the next edition of the Hauraki Singlehanded Series. Planning for next year will start soon...

What a race! Little old Wild! clocked max speed at 14.8kts running towards Crusoe.

Pre startweather was looking good and Predictwind was saying that the wind will be mid teens and getting up to mid 20's I (foolishly) opted for a #2 thinking that it may give me a slight advantage after Rangi Lighthouse and at the bottom end of Motuihie.... Well.... What a f@k up!

Start was bearable, clear air at the back of the fleet, than I was forced in to a tack with a big bus on starboard which turned out ok as i was making good speed up the chanel and by the time i tacked over to clear the lighthouse things were looking good (as good as they could have been in a overcanvased 7m boat!)

In my infinite wisdom I decided to tack over and clear rocksas i was being pushed sideways a fair bit, but on the next tack I got an over run on a jib sheet and whole hell broke loose. Gentle touch of a knife blade sorted that out! But now I had to re-run a spinnaker sheet in a good swell and use it as a jib sheet... Which took a while...

Sea state was quite bad after rounding the corner and it was quite hard to keep the boat pointing in the right direction after couple of violent broaches I abandoned spinnaker idea and just as well as Wild! was doing 10's with a jib behind the main and occasionally catching up with a wave ap ahead and going for a nose dive! Final broach was by Crusoe as I was trying to jibe by which stage port sheet was out of the turning block and the spinnaker sheet (jib sheet) clip came undone... And the jib was flogging its guts out. Decided to get in to a lee of Motuihie before tending to it.

The rest of the trip was uneventful. And a code zero made an appearance for a short while towards the end.

Bit disappointed with the result. I didnt think that small boats would end up with such a high handicap (includes Lob RockStar and Crocodile) but it was a great race nevertheless! Thank you for organising it and hope to see you on Friday

Prizegiving date put back to Friday 1st of May to stay away from the long Anzac weekend [on the assumption it'll be 25 degrees and blue skies and everyone will be heading away on Friday night].

I was tucked up in Calypso Bay and couldnt believe my eyes. I figured Copelia and then Gale Force were just having a warmup for the 200 this weekend, but no, the boats kept coming.

Everyone looked to do really well coming around and changing to upwind mode..bar Rock Lobster is looked to be heading to the Cellar Door in Man O War Bay for a while...which we all agreed in board was a very good option given the conditions.

Was impressive to see given the sea state and weather, so well done all of you that competed

Thanks DYC, another great race!

I overestimated time to line and didn't get the best start on TBT probably about 10 sec late. Struggled a bit on the first beat, was the first to tack away into clean air and settle down. It was windier than forecast but I thought I would hold onto the full main, a decision I would regret. I was happy when I tacked back to Rangi to find that I hadn’t lost much if any ground to Revo Blues (damn but you do heavy stuff well  :wave: ). H&H was having another blinder, and the two big boys had left us all for dust. Round Rangi the swells started getting alarmingly steep and short. I have never seen so much water over the bow, and I fell off one or two very steep ones with a bit of a bone shuddering thump. I was now really struggling with the full main and falling off behind Revo and H&H badly (had to do an extra 2 tacks) so they both soon disappeared into the blue. Halfway up Motutapu I decided to put a tuck in the main which helped the pointing and was much easier to handle the sea state. Round the back of Motutapu I tried to throw out the tuck but the reef line had wrapped itself around the boom and wouldn't let go. Trusting the autopilot surfing at 11 plus while trying to bring the boom in was a touch nervy to say the least. I finally got the tuck out (boltropes suck for solo sailing) and by now decided not to bother with the kite. I was running deeper and catching Revo, so all good. Had a number of surfs over 15 (log under reads and I didn't have the GPS on) but maintained high 12s for a good stretch. Got to Motuihe only a dozen or so boat lengths behind Revo with Cool Change breathing down my neck. Wind was now 28 plus so considered a granny tack, but a lull to 22 and took the chance and jybed across. One of the blocks on the self tacker let go so on with the autopilot again, and up to the bow to put in a temporary fix. I thought the pilot was taking me a bit close to the beach but fingers crossed. Saw two dolphins cuddling in very shallow water up ahead so I raced back to the helm. BUGGER - depth reading 0.0 (calibrated to below keel) and I skidded to a minor halt from 7+ knots. Puled the helm over hard and felt the rudder juddering along the beach, thank goodness for soft sand. Depth agonisingly and slowly climbed 0.1, 0.3 and finally about 1.2 so the day was saved, I could sheet in the self tacker and carry on but it did mean I had lost the time to put a tuck in the main again. Wind now gusting 35s I did all I could to depower the main and hang on. Cool Change is obviously better suited to that close reach with a fin and bulb and so hauled me in and eventually cruised past. The wind suddenly went from N to SW just before North Head (could see the change up the harbour) complete with a heavy crash of thunder. With the wind speed and angle now a bit easier, waterline length had me catching CC again. I was not able to sail through her lee despite several valiant attempts, so I snuck up to windward and managed to pull a few boat lengths free just before the finish.

8 secs separation in those conditions is close. Just shows it ain't over till it's over. Well done on getting passed. I dropped the sheet and didn't get the jib off quickly enough. Gibing with masthead runners is hair raising in that breeze. Figuratively speaking that is.

Hi DYC and all the single handers

Had a great time on Gale Force, the choppy conditions probably suited the bigger boats on the wind, but still had plenty of water over the decks. Rob (Coppelia) and I had a good battle all the way round. He had a good start and he led all the way to Bean Rock where he allowed me to get past in a very gentlemanly manner. The breeze dropped at North head and I thought there may have been a come back but we had a  close finish, the handicapper giving it to Rob by 1 second, he deserves the win. Both disappointed we hadn't been brave enough to put the bags up. The cock up potential was quite high and we were expecting the SW change.

Thank you DYC for putting on the race and my apologies as I will not be able to make the prizegiving. Well be Back.

Everyone looked to do really well coming around and changing to upwind mode..bar Rock Lobster is looked to be heading to the Cellar Door in Man O War Bay for a while...which we all agreed in board was a very good option given the conditions.

Was impressive to see given the sea state and weather, so well done all of you that competed

Cantabrians getting slightly lost and finding "fault lines" ????????????

He did keep a close eye on me during my clusterf@k after a jibe attempt that went on to a broach. Making sure all is going well.

All that was going through my head was : Darn small boats! And people from landlocked countries that get on them ????

Darn small boats! And people from landlocked countries that get on them

Yeahhh,,, speaking of which, what were you doing at Challenger Rock?  Do you mean Awash rock?

Same again next year and we welcome the various spectators/commenters too.

This is an open race and the more the merrier.

There was discussion among the more 'senior' members that this must have been pretty close to the 50th edition.

Just a reminder that Prizegiving date is put back to Friday 1st of May to stay away from the long Anzac weekend.