You guys want to send me a screen shot of the display problem? Works fine for me on Chrome, but I can pass on any issues to Karl...

Thx

Oh, and on this Keel issue. IMO the standard mounts are only safe for the standard keel, unless a real naval architect tells you otherwise. As mentioned above, a deeper and/or heavier keel puts more stress on EVERYTHING not just the Keel mounts - as it increases the righting moment, and makes the boat more powerful. After all, that is the point of the new keel, right? The boats whole structure needs to be considered....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I  hate the way photos spill all over the screen so you have to scroll sideways and down to see it, it sucks.

Ah so you're more looking to reduce the keel weight a bit by going to a little bit lighter bulb to get all the weight lower. Not that I'm any sort of design knowledgeable dude, I just used and abuse s

Posted Images

I was looking at not increasing the righting moment to reduce structural changes that may have been required, thinking that the ballast would be less to give lower overall displacement and the foil profile change would improve all around sailing performance. 

Ah so you're more looking to reduce the keel weight a bit by going to a little bit lighter bulb to get all the weight lower. Not that I'm any sort of design knowledgeable dude, I just used and abuse smarter peoples designs, but that does sound like it could be quite a few bucks for maybe not a huge change. But I could be wrong, that did happened once ;)

Can you do a reshape to your existing?

A 930 that punches above the fleets weight is reported to be a stock boat but a little seagul tells me while the keel is stock in it's draft and etc it has had considerable liposuction, botox and other body work done. If true, and I suspect it is, it's made a big and damn good change to her performance. She is also sailed well which helps.

I'd be exceptionaly interested in what the foil dude says.

I'd like to change keel now but the current misson plan does have a good dollop of keel related action in it so I have to let that run it's course before I change. I have tweaked the boat ready for it though. But I've been thinking once I've seen what I want with the stock maybe I do a big face lift to it, leaving the weight, keel blots and all that where they are but rershape it to see what happens.

Hence I'd also like to know what your bloke says about that as a possible option.

This is an interesting subject and unless you're a bit of a boffin, its hard to to make keel mods with any certainty of how they will go. But as a starting point a fair keel with no humps n' bumps. What section to use? That is a whole can of worms once you start looking into it, there is a LOT of jargon to decipher.

There are so many variables, alright, I thought with the number of 930's that have had keel mods, the different designs etc. may have brought out some good ideas.

Apparently some 930's with standard keels still outperform the "upgraded" ones, so it is hard to decipher what the answer is, some original 930 keels aren't too bad though making for variations in comparisons.

A 1034 keel is a basic fin keel and around 26 yrs old.

This is where design comes into it, no elements of boat design exist in a vacuum. If you alter a keel by thinking that more draft or weight will solve certain issues or increase performance you might be right, but its not guaranteed. All things being equal, bulbs are slower than pure fin keels if you have the same c/g but there are tradeoffs in wetted surface or whether the boat is optimised for up or downwind. I think is a wise move to pay a designer to crunch the numbers and get the keel you want rather than a hit and miss approach.

I did the keel of The Entertainer recently and it made a huge difference (given my sailing hasn't really improved). Do not underestimate what it will cost. I didn't cut corners (I didn't do any of the work myself) and put in completely new floors which tie into a partial ring frame which has also made it possible to carry alot more rig tension. I just used a top plate (recessed flush with the hull) on the can bolted through to big washers in the floors and there is absolutely no movement. Mike Rees (Rees Castings) helped heaps and did a great job on the bulb and can, talk to Mike if you want a straight-up opinion. 

PM me if you want pics, drawings and idea on costs.