Soda blasting paint off

I'm sure it's come up before but buggered if I can find it.

After spending a hour or 3 going back to bare glass on my hull ready for deck bonding, the entire boat, shed, cat every freaking thing is green, the colour of the original gelcoat. I came out looking like a psycho Irish Clown about to go Columbine on someone. What a mess.

I found I have 4 coats of paint, at least, plus the gelcoat. Some has to go but not all but if it's getting a biggie why not go for it all and start from scratch is a thought.

What was the outcome of the idea to soda blast paint off discussion, a good or bad idea?

Knotty, try calling Nigel Dunn the owner of Avondale Blasting and Coating in Rosebank Rd. He did the sandblasting on the interior of my alloy tub (which you saw a few years back), and it wasnt a simple job due to the thinness of the alloy and the risk of "golfballing" the whole hull.

I was mighty impressed with his knowledge of all things blasting and coating.

Ive got his mobile number somewhere if you need it

Mixed reports on soda, can leave mini craters, operator dependent and will still need fairing. A 930 is not that big, why not get a good random orbital with 40# and/or longboard etc. Do the bottom with a big linbide scraper?

The problem with the 40 grit is that the sanding marks will shrink over time and look like a dogs bottom. There is no easy way around it. If you long board it now you are fairing the hull at the same time as sanding, but you will need to work your way up to 180 grit to finish it off, also be prepared to put about 4 good coats of Durepox over the top. Wait for a couple of weeks and long board again before finishing off. That would be my suggestion anyways, regardless of wrapping or painting.

If you end up sodablasting, you just need to make sure you use someone who knows what they are doing. And RINSE the left over residue repeatedly. If there is any residue left nothing will bond to it. On the other hand, it saves you days of sanding. Rinsing is easier than long boarding ???? but it doesnt give same results.

As far as the cratering is concerned, soda particles are quite small (think baking soda) that it will not be an issue, provided that you get someone who knows what they are doing! I had a Bentley blasted at my shop (from the two tone edge, down) and the guys that did it did an awesome job, I was even asked if I would preffer them to stop at a certain paint layer rather than blasting right back! Messy, noisy but effective! And beats sanding any day!!!!

Provided that the mould that the hull came out of was perfect. Than again if you have to fare here and there is still not as bad as sanding THE WHOLE THING!

I guess what I am saying is that there is no easy way, on boats there is no avoiding the longboard if you want a decent finish. To get back to gelcoat I think you have to be prepared for multiple coats of primer and the  longboard/fairing process. You could get the heatgun and scraper out, try stripping it  with some nasties, soda or grit blasting or maybe even a peel but to get a good finish eventually you'll be going through the grits and working up a sweat! One thing I have found is that epoxy primer has to be attacked the next day because get slack and leave it a few more days to harden and you'll end up crying as the longboard bounces of the surface!

Every time this subject comes up I think of that poor man with Fin, an immaculate S and S wooden boat. He went off for smoko while the blaster guy went at it , came back to find one side of his boat was carved away to about half its original scantlings.

You know , that '70's eroded grain pool fence look.

I'm glass so not to sure how it goes on that. I may look into it deeper just to knock it all back to the gelcoat layer and sand from there. There is a few coats, some being epoxy based, over the gelcoat so I'd like to take some off if I can.

Bad idea, I know of stories like JohnB's (maybe the same one) you'll end up with a massive fairing job, far worse than if you sanded and long boarded it off with 40 grit. And you'll end up doing just as much sanding trying to get it fair again. Man up and get on the torture board.