Coastal Distress Options? DSC, AIS, EPIRB

DSC

stands for digital selective calling

allowing you to call specific radios on freq. not prearranged

the manual also suggests you can request the lat/long of a vessel if you know their mmsi and their vhf is gps connected

DSC is a paging system that uses data signals to automate the transmission and reception of calls on VHF marine radio channel 70.

A DSC message is a brief burst of digitised information transmitted from one station to alert another station or stations. 

The DSC message automatically indicates the identity of the calling station and the priority/purpose of the call. 

Every DSC radio has a unique number, which you use to call other radios, just like a mobile phone.

However, unlike mobile phones, DSC allows you to call every other radio in range at the same time if you are in trouble.

Following an alert by DSC message, communications are established between the transmitting station and the receiving station(s) by radiotelephone on a different channel to that used for the DSC call.

DSC is used by ship and coast stations for sending and relaying distress alerts and for other urgency and safety traffic.

It can also be used for routine calls.

DSC also offers the ability to send and receive GPS positions - all DSC radios can be connected to a GPS receiver.

I'd like to report on progress on this, but progress is best described as glacial.

Have to say my VHF is not on much sailing. It has to compete with much nicer stereo sounds. Then if it is rough, I often have it on, but the hatch is closed. I should sort out having a remote speaker on deck I guess...

I've been at sea (on another boat) when a boat behind us was frantically sending off flares after hitting something. I bet not everyone looks aft on a rough day every 30 seconds either.

Which is perhaps why a LED flare that lasts for hours is a better bet of being seen. 

Did I just argue myself into a circle?

LED flares are a no brainer. Tim, I patiently waiting to hear from you that they are now approved!! :-)

just been watching nz highway patrol? on tv

showed a south island back country, dirt road, bike vs camper accident

apparently the 2nd to last? in a group of dirt riders had crashed into the side of a camper, which had split his full-face helmet and head open

presumably no surrounding cell phone range but the last? rider had set off a small gps eprib

which had brought in an ambulance, fire engine, medical evac helicopter and police car

nice to see the system all working

guess after being notified of the signal by an overseas service the nz dept in wellington, would have phoned the eprib's registered phone # and learned the guys were on a trail bike tour of the south island

or were unable to call anyone, so responded anyway

Last year A friend of mine set off his personal epirb in th bush fiord land for chest pains. No phone coverage and they just sat and waited until a helicopter arrived. The system works brilliantly we'll.

Ch 16 during day and its not that annoying not like coastguard channels. As someone said ext speaker to cockpit bulkhead would be good. Off at bedtime as sure to get woken up with something not important, is it Maritime NZ that notifies a forecast at 1 am!

There was a time when sailors did not rely on others to come to their aid at a press of a button. I agree, flares and the courtesy of a listening watch on 16 should be normal procedure for every skipper today.

Technology is great.....when and if it works. But and a big but, if you rely on someone else always being available you are failing in your duty to yourself  and your crew. Slocum, Lewis, Roth Guzzwell, Shipton, Smeeton Tillman etc refused to carry any life saving device that relied on others to help them.

My comment does not mean dont carry them, just dont rely on them to save you when the sh*t hits the fan.

I would have thought that was a given, its last resort stuff.

As for the radio, It just wears me out listening to all that rubbish these days. Even the nowcasting is impossible, why get an Aussie to drawl all that stuff out? Its enough to send a man to text.

Now casting app on iPhone is 10 times better. No ads, no continous public service broadcasts. Allows one the opportunity to listen to o coastguard and count drop kicks calling with flat battery problems.( Or should that comment be in another thread?)