Maybe I want a Catamaran, what do you guys think?

So I've spent a season in a Tracker 7.7 (my first Keeler) but it is too slow and needs a bit of work so I'm committing to getting a different boat and upgrading, sailed PT's and other beach cats and I kite surf so get apparent wind, planing and speed no worries.

I want a bit of a multi-purpose platform, with racing  and day sailing in the harbour being the main usage but being able to safely and comfortably take my 9 year old away for a weekend adventure. I don't mind roughing it camping style. 

I may be asking too much,  but it would be great to have a boat that can be a summer time Gulf and BOI fun cruiser (mostly day sailing) that can effectively be single handed, then come race time be cranked up and have a real chance of getting back to the bar first.

In short I need a boat that can be set-up to provide idyllic days sailing (and not frightening) with the wife and kids, but with a few changes can be a competitive racer.

I don't want to end up upside down, especially not when out cruising with the family!

The Coastal Classic is on my list of must do's, probably 2017.

I'm eyeing up two cats, "Hard Drive" and "This Way Up" on Trademe at present. Just wondering if anyone can advise on these boats, in particular how they would go de-tuned for family cruising and what sort of room down below they offer. A boom tent and a couple of squabs will be fine in terms of accommodation. Seen a few GBE's too that look OK though they don't come up that often.

I may end up getting a sportier keeler but the above two boats are in my price range.

Would love you guy's thoughts and ideas on how the boats might go and whether I'm dreaming when it comes to a versatile small and affordable cat.

Sounds like one the 8.5s would be perfect for you! I half own one of the GBEs and it pretty much ticks all the boxes you have identified above. Fun to sail, great racing but can be a family cruiser if you don't push it hard. They are very docile boats, so long as you are sensible with how much sail you have up. Kids love the tramps and stability. 

Hard Drive would be a great option. To go cruising you would probably just need to add a good boom tent (talk to Bill Barry) and a BBQ! You live under the boom tent when cruising so it's worth getting a good one.

Here is Freedom in cruising trim. It was our first time using the boom tent and we've figured out how to set it up much better now:

photo (4).JPG

I've got the GBE Euphoria on Trade Me.  Lots of oportunity and the GBE ticks all your boxes.

PM if your interested - there are a few interested in her though so don't muck about!

Cheers mate, spotted Euphoria and it's another option. I'm not quite cashed up (will be in a fortnight or so). I noted that in the ad Euphoria may need a bit of work to get sailing, is that right? I'm in Whangarei so will need something that can be sailed up here straight away is all. It's a good looking boat though. Also the osmosis, is it a major on a GBE to fix that up?

They look good, perfect even, but just a question, how forgiving are they in cruise mode and do they take well to being depowered/detuned, I.e reefing very early etc. or do they turn into dogs when under powered?

Any other things to bare in mind when using a GBE for family cruising?

I'm also not sure what a good price for a tidy, ready to rock GBE is - will a budget of say $20-25K get me going?

We took our 2 month old away for 5 nights at Xmas last year on voom, modified GBE. They sail pretty well with less sail up, not normal race speeds, but quicker than your tracker. Definately not dogs. With baby on board, first reef at 10 knots, don't sail if 2 reefs required...

The GBE's and 8.5's are, by modern racing multi hull standards, somewhat under canvassed, and will carry full sail to 20kts plus.

For crusing, a smaller jib with the full main would give you plenty of range without feeliing too underpowered.

If you want to have a crawl round a gbe, Mine is on the hard at pier 21 doing a bit of maintainence this weekend, drop by and say hello

Definitely keen to look at one, but am tied up this weekend, thanks heaps for the offer. I'll pop down to Auckland in the next few weeks to check out the boats for sale though, the info is great and I think a GBE ticks the boxes so will keep an eye out. Euphoria could be on the list

Hard Drive is a nice little boat, sails well but is a bit smaller inside than a GBE from memory?

TC may jump in here, he designed her,

We had a GBE for about 5 years before Bad Kitty, had a boom tent, BBQ & put a head in  one side & had great holidays cruising.

What about Te Kooti, the Simpson cat advertised to Trademe at mo, bit more expensive but looks more setup for cruising - semi comfortable inside. Won't measure as an 8.5 thou with 14 m air draft. But positive of rig is that you can comfortably sail on light days. Think it has done a bit of racing as well and is no slouch.

- Shane B

This Way Up is good value. You will never be short of crew wanting to come and do the Coastal classic. May have to invest in some good wet weather gear for the whole family. I would say you could be the fasted boat in Whangarei. You can be at the Barrier in no time. Set up little pup tents on the big trampoline.

We took our 2 month old away for 5 nights at Xmas last year on voom, modified GBE. They sail pretty well with less sail up, not normal race speeds, but quicker than your tracker. Definately not dogs. With baby on board, first reef at 10 knots, don't sail if 2 reefs required...

Ok, so a little bit of devil's advocate: that's going to leave an awful lot of conditions in which you can't go sailing, and the forecasts just aren't that reliable...

I have only used the second reef once in the last three years. When it gets windy you can reduce the risk by sailing angles up wind and down wind only, avoiding the angle of death. But then again my family just want to go fast and enjoy overtaking launches.

Ok, so a little bit of devil's advocate: that's going to leave an awful lot of conditions in which you can't go sailing, and the forecasts just aren't that reliable...

Not really devils advocate. More like uninformed stirring.

So I'm seriously leaning towards a GBE for the cruising aspect, maybe I'll look at "This Way UP". Not to worried about about class type racing as there ain't that many cats in the WCC fleet anyway.

How do the bigger cats end up upside down? Is it the same as the beach cats? The only time I've tipped over on a PT was a beam reach then hitting a big boat wake, burying the leeward bow and coming to a sudden stop in 25 knots.

Not really devils advocate. More like uninformed stirring.

Definitely not my intent, quite curious actually. I thought you meant the second would be needed about 20kt?