SSANZ 100

Report from Excess

Thanks to SSANZ and Coastguard.

Our race started in moderate wind, even momentarily becalmed off Emu Pt.

Charleston had good pace and looked pressed up all the way through Motuihe Channel to a good lead. Good breeze off Home Bay and settled into a low mode trying not to go too fast into the swell. After the gybe it required some vigorous steering in avoiding the waves as we overtook them.

Charleston did 2 extra gybes so we rounded Gannet even. A few lengths lead at Tarakihi evaporated when we cut the corner.

Managed to overtake Charleston to windward but shortly afterwards we stuffed the bow into a wave, slowed, and got blown over. Initially it happened fast, but the actual capsize was slow enough to hang on. I don't think Bruce got his feet wet.

By the time we got our breath Charleston was already talking with Coastguard. We were comfortable so they continued.

Comms with Coastguard was straightforward and clear on waterproof handheld. They sent Maraetai and 50' Lion Foundation, which hauled us up sideways with a single line on the forward beam. Minor damage from the line cutting into the board. It was less than an hour between capsize and righting.

5-10mins of tidying then sailed back to Auckland. Thanks to SSANZ for a tow into the marina at 5pm, and Adrian of Freedom for the hot pies.

Mike

SSANZ 90 2015.PNG

• Upvote 3

Mike, you weren't kidding when you said you were trying to slow her down before you went over. There is a lot of red in that final stretch. 

We need to add hot pies to the NZMYC capsize recovery guide!

• Upvote 1

Voom, your nav lights are still on.

Thanks for that. Got another text too. Must have knocked them on Sunday when drying sails. We're definitely off on Saturday night. Away at the moment, hopefully they will be turned off on Saturday, le me know I still on Sunday! Doubt battery will last.....

When we flipped voom last year, Adrian bought us pies too. Just awesome. And Sam bought beer, also appreciated.

Voom had a mixed SSANZ race, some exciting moments, and one snapped board that cost us 15mins. Might write more when not just on phone.

• Upvote 2

Charleston

Got off to a fairly slow start on port. luckily this put us on a nice port tack lay line that took us cleanly through Motuihe passage and north of D'urville rock. Boat was going nice and fast up to about this point but then it became to choppy for us to safely hullfly down wind without risk of cartwheel. Excess obviously was catching us by now and we coud see them foiling gradually up to us. We decided on an early gybe to Gannet which cost as Excess got the angle right and did two less gybes than us.  We stayed close to them through the back of Waiheke and even overtook again briefly after Tarakihi when they fell into a wee lull. It started to get fairly puffy as we started to leave Waiheke's lee and then we got caught napping by a gust that gave us one our closest moments to date. When we recovered we saw that Excess was on her side. We stopped, dropped our jib, notified coastguard, granny tacked about and sailed around them to make sure all was ok.  We could here them communicating with coastguard. They (Bruce and Mike) indicated they were fine and motioned us to get going so off we went. So after that fright we dropped in the 2nd reef and changed to the number 3, then off to the black rocks.  We didn't hoist the jib till 3/4 the way to flat rock.The boat sailed somewhat better in that breeze with main only as the headsail tended to blow the bow off a bit. when we finally did break out a jib we got nailed by a squall that was blowing spray off the top of the water so jib down again. Eventually made it to Flat rock - after 4 hours!! then the breeze more or less died. We didn't shake the last reed out till about Murrays bay level as, we were tired and really probably just wanted to nurse the boat along. Then the breeze really died and went aft at Wakatere ( after I'd coiled the kite sheets) and had to go to a reaching sail for the last bit. -Tough day for us for sure and a pity our running mate had an early exit.

Thank you to Ssanz

Cheers Casey  

• Upvote 4

Voom, your nav lights are still on.

Nav lights still burning bright this morning. You must get a prize from the committee for having enough power in your battery to run your nav lights for a week, LEDs are just so good.. Lanny turned them off this morning.

Relaxing race today in the harbour only three 8.5s.

A Small video taken from Meister last Weekend.

Didn't have the camera on when the carnage happened. We managed to blow out the masthead and fractional kite and also snapping the pole in half =/.

Hope you enjoy it.

• Upvote 3

I was the bowman, I let my dad do the easy job! I didn't really have much to say, after putting up and pulling down 3 kites in a short time i was to knackered and just got the job done.

Was fun, tiring and bloody expensive on the old wallet!