anchor chain twist

Guest 000

My primary anchor is a 35lb Manson Supreme on 20m of 8mm chain, then to 14 mm 3 strand nylon. The warp is spliced directly to the chain. If the boat lies to 30m or so of rode then I notice that the first metre of chain after the warp is always badly twisted when I weigh anchor. Why is this, especially considering that the H28 is very well behaved at anchor. Presumably I could fix this with a swivel, but I'm not so very keen on those things. The problem may disappear soon when I change the warp to 14mm 8 plait, but any ideas why?

Thanks Steve, I was thinking perhaps something along those lines, but I get the twist even in calm weather with next to no load on the rode. Looking at the twist you would think the boat had been going round in circles all night. I like to lay out my rode fairly slowly and wonder if the shape of the Supreme causes it to corkscrew on its way to the bottom? That could explain it.

The boat has a vertical capstan, no gypsy, but I hardly ever use it. I just weigh anchor by hand. Having only 1.2 metres of draught I anchor in shallower waters than most so its not such hard work. I try to nicely flake the rope portion of the rode in the anchor locker but its difficult sometimes with stiff old three strand. Perhaps this contributes to the problem. Once my son delivers the 100m of 8 plait anchor rode he generously bought me for my 70th, the problem will hopefully go away.

I have never had the problem with similar anchor set-ups on other boats either.

I suspect that Knot Me is correct in his analysis though.

My boats prior to the H28 were built my me and thus began life with nice new (soft) warp. When I bought the H28 I replaced the anchor and chain but not the warp which I respliced to the chain. The rope look OK but could be pretty ancient given the age of the boat. The twisted metre of chain next to the warp referred to in my original post can get so badly twisted that the chain links are almost jammed together.

Nasty, and a bit worrying. Eagerly awaiting the 8 plait.