Single handed sailing

Looks like a few boats are planning to go up the river for the prizegiving!

It feels like it's been far too long between the races in this series! Or my workload has something to do with it...

Looking forward to "church" on Sunday ☺

Although, I will do my very best not to be late for the start this year!

Who else is motoring to Motukorea? Mass starts 1pm

Wahoo - 38 Boats entered for the BJ Tyres single handed race this Sunday! Its gunna be massive!!

Due to the phenomenal entry list we have ammended the sailing instructions to split the mass start into two divisions... - See attached ammendments.

Latest entry list for Sundays BJ Tyres Single Handed -
Open: Pavo, Space Station, B+G Racing, Wishbone, Wild, The Bondi Tram, Lightfoot, Revolution Blues, The Taniwha, Crocodile, Heaven n Hell, Cool Change, Unitec II, Tack Hammer, Voom, Taboo, Clandestine Jet, Elan, Real Deal, Wild Oats.

Restricted: Patiko, Cordite, 9, Yasawa, Mazurka, Solo Company, Communique, Kristina, Bandicoot, Imagine, In the Mood, Big Bickies, Nexus, Rock Lobster, Cosa Nostra, Rigil Kent, Galway Girl

Ammendment.png

Wahoo - 38 Boats entered for the BJ Tyres single handed race this Sunday! Its gunna be massive!!

Due to the phenomenal entry list we have ammended the sailing instructions to split the mass start into two divisions... - See attached ammendments.

Latest entry list for Sundays BJ Tyres Single Handed -

Open: Pavo, Space Station, B+G Racing, Wishbone, Wild, The Bondi Tram, Lightfoot, Revolution Blues, The Taniwha, Crocodile, Heaven n Hell, Cool Change, Unitec II, Tack Hammer, Voom, Taboo, Clandestine Jet, Elan, Real Deal, Wild Oats.

Restricted: Patiko, Cordite, 9, Yasawa, Mazurka, Solo Company, Communique, Kristina, Bandicoot, Imagine, In the Mood, Big Bickies, Nexus, Rock Lobster, Cosa Nostra, Rigil Kent, Galway Girl

Just a minor question... Regarding the maths this time... 

15nm course (more less) and 4 hours to do it means 4.3kts average which will be rather hard in a 23ft boat with 3-5kts of breeze to play with...

What are the chances (and or likelyhood) of shortening the course on the day?

Just a minor question... Regarding the maths this time... 

15nm course (more less) and 4 hours to do it means 4.3kts average which will be rather hard in a 23ft boat with 3-5kts of breeze to play with...

What are the chances (and or likelyhood) of shortening the course on the day?

11nm - Just plotted it now.

Thats 2.75 knots average - if we cant to that then it will be a boring boring race - It is a sunday after all - lets get back to the bar.

Looking back through the last 5 years results there hasnt been a boat finish after 4:30... Even the H28 got around so you should be ok :-)

Hi Everyone

I'm sorry I didn't make it today, but I needed to sail to Auckland do the race and then come home due to other commitments.

The weather wasn't going to allow that for me so I called it off.

How did it go?

Cheers Charlie. Taboo

a good day out there. massive fleet of 41(?) boats.  Very light start, then maybe 10 knot puffs on the way out the channel. but then breeze dropped right off again, and there was a frustrating hole between the E and SW? breeze? i seemed to get stuck in it on the way to northern leading then again on way to finish.  A fun challenge after the race getting everyone rafted up on the working berth, and as always, some great spot prizes.  Thanks BBYC, SailIQ ans BJ tyres.

Had a nice motor home in the dark, beautiful night. 

Was a great day on the water!
Results will be on the website shortly - apologies for the delay

Was a great day on the water, thanks heaps to the race officers, and of course to the sponsor - BJ Tyres. And thanks to all the SoloIQ guys for making the effort to come back afterwards - was a good raft up on the loading dock.

IMG_2722.JPG

A great start  to the BJ Tyres series with Bucks and certainly the biggest fleet I've seen in the last few years. Not often we get such a light race at this time of the year though, but light it was with a strong outgoing tide.It was tricky at times with different parts of the course getting different breeze weights. The fleet separated a little after rounding Motuihe but then closed up on the way to North Leading. The converging breezes gave some hope at times. I tried to get a gennie going after Motuihe but then settled for a 0 which is a little more stable in the very light. The UNITEC carried a gennie nicely and looked well pressed at times. The best part of the race was just pipping the RB on the line. Getting up the river to the bar was frustrating and I found the putty a few times. Great prizes once again. The revised look for the series has certainly added a new dimension to this solo series and there's no missing the shirts!. Looking forward to the away races in Jan, Feb and March next year. Thanks to the two main sponsors Sail IQ and BJ Tyres.

Well, work has been nuts and I had no time for play!

What a race! Light patches with nice blows in between. I made a huge mistake going too far to the Rangi shore and had to battle from there... Luckily for me fleet was becalmed by the Northern Leading and I managed to catch up (and park) with everyone. Run to the finish turned in to another park up and a subsequent beat...

After towing Riccardo off of the putty at the entrance to the river and a "quick" motor to BBYC we had yet another spectacular prizegiving!

Thanks to BBYC and all the volunteers as well as the sponsors!

Magic motor home in the dark too, we live in arguably most beautiful city in the world !!!