What do you want Crew.org.nz to be

It's interesting seeing many of the comments being made. Like several, I was one of the very small handful that was at the beginning of CF. I think from memory I was about No5.

I have said this before, hehe, probably about a year ago, that about once a year, a Forum reaches a point where it kind of has to stretch it's self a little to make room for the expantion. Interestingly, all these comments are almost identical to the ones we went through on there. I can say right now, they don't work and Squid, you should not change the Formulae for here too much.

Floosey, I know exactly what you mean and i am not shooting down your comment about a "newbie" Forum. But I can honestly say, it didn't work when we tried it on CF. Nor did a Female only Forum either. I thought it may have been a case of Woman were too intimidated about posting. But with smothing like 13000 members at that particular time, we had three woman that posted and they were the same three that joined in with the normal post anyway and even though we monitored it very closely, guys ended up answering many of the topics anyway.

The way I see it, newbies have just as much to offer as the experienced. Hey, take me. I am a complete newbie when it comes to anything Sailing. I ask what must be some of the most basic questions. A couple seasons back, i posted a Pic that showed I had things completely screwed up. I got lots of useful advise. I was never put down for the lack of my experience and I think it fairly safe to say, anyone that put anyone down for there lack of experience would actually get jumped on pretty quick. Thats one cool thing about these better sites, they tend to self Police. SA is different in that it is all about roasting the newbies. If a newbie didn't understand that and posted there for the first time, they would be met with a terrible shock. Personally I can not be bothered with SA.

Oh I just remembered. In relation to another comment much earlier about Editing and deleting posts. We also tried that on CF. The first issue was that deleting a post did not work. Two reasons took place. First one was suddenly consequent posts didn't make sense suddenly. Second problem occured when the software got updated. The removal of a post deleted all other posts that followed it. So was removing a member. If someone got in a huff, they would delete their membership and suddenly entire Threads would vanish. So it was changed so as no one could delete their accounts. Hence why if you go there, you will still see my name. Annoying because I still get PMs or replies to many of my posts even today, several years later from me ever being there.

The other problem that occured was that some unscrupulous posters we had, went back and changed what they said. Suddenly it made the next poster sound like it was them that had the problem. I think we have a need for editing and we do, but I don;t think that needs to be a continuosly open ability. Although Squid, I am not sure the exact time limit that is on the Edit function, but it may want to be extended just a little. I ahve found it just a little too short myself sometimes. I reckon a 15 to 30min window would be better. After that a post should be locked.

The other problem that occured was that some unscrupulous posters we had, went back and changed what they said.

I don't know how feasible it would be, but instead of having a time limit for editing posts how about putting a "this post has been edited" button when relevant that would show a history of all the edits made. That way if someone feels the need to correct spelling/grammar or to clarify something said they are free to do so but the evidence is there to prevent any unscrupulous back tracking.

I am a lurker on the Woodenboat forum.

I only look at the building/repair section as that is what i'm doing, so I can't comment on the level of the rest of the site, but it appears to be self moderating like here.

I don't post because i've not had a question that they havn't already answered. :D

Also, it is US based, and I already have one forum to haunt.

That place is an amazing source of information on how to do it.

There is a Kiwi living in San Fran that is rebuilding a folkboat.

At the start he didn't even know what it was, let alone how to repair it.

The job is progressing with pictorial evidence that all and sundry comment on.

He is almost a remote control robot for online experts to direct.

All materials are sourced by driving up and down the backwaters of SF bay pulling stuff off abandoned yachts and motorboats.

Quite cool. He is working in a cave full of old bits and pieces.

Probably lurks here! :D

I don't know how feasible it would be, but instead of having a time limit for editing posts how about putting a "this post has been edited" button when relevant that would show a history of all the edits made. That way if someone feels the need to correct spelling/grammar or to clarify something said they are free to do so but the evidence is there to prevent any unscrupulous back tracking.

Currently with the limited time to edit the edited post already shows a note like you mention I think it also has the time and date that it was edited and how many times.

Having the ability to see how the post was changed - now that would be interesting :thumbup:

But maybe also a little pointless. Isn't the idea of editing because you don't want people to see what you originally wrote.

For me, I don't care about how someone spells. I don't care about something maybe written in a way that gives a laugh. It's good to have a laugh. And if someone posts a comment later than changes there view form a previous post, then I take it from the later post onwards. I really don't see the need for an edit function beyond what we have, apart from just a little more time placed on it before it closes. And yes, it does show that a Post has been edited.

Just like this. See below under my name.

One complaint I have heard is that newbies feel a bit intimidated, how would you deal with that?

While everyone is friendly and welcoming on crew I think a forum for newbies would be great - I would feel more comfortable posting dumb questions there than in other places where responses can get into detailed technical discussions that assume knowledge I don't have! :oops: .

Also when a thread is going with bunter and inside jokes amongst regular posters (while amusing to read) it does feel a bit intimidating to post and I assume that others know more and will answer anyway.

The challenge would be keeping regular/experienced posters interested to respond to questions but without making it a forum they led...perhaps just let people with under 100 posts or something create a new topic?

I really don't think there are any dumb questions floosy. Nobody here knows everything, certainly not me, but collectively we all know an amazing amount. I have never seen less than a carefully considered, polite response to a genuine query. I've also never met a proper sailor that thinks he knows everything, and I know some bloody good ones.

I'm usually one of the lurkers rather than a big contributor and I find the little "edited ? times" notes a bit of a tease. It always makes me wonder what they had to say in the first place that they needed to edit? As you say Wheels, why not just post a follow up?

There is still time in the limited edit window for posters to retract/alter there original post in response to an immediate reply (I've seen a minor light hearted example of this here this morning) so there is opportunity there for misuse.

My view if we are trying to be as "correct" about it all as possible is that the the policy needs to be strongly one way or the other. Either "no edits what-so-ever" or "edits allowed with history available".

Having said this I'm now going to sit on the fence and say that it doesn't really seem to be broke as it is so why "fix" it. I don't think I've noticed anyone abusing the current edit ability but don't really see any need to extend it either.

Everything you say is true and it is completely possible that one individual could be incredibly knowledgeable, or have something brilliantly witty to say, about half a dozen or more of the topics that are active on any given day.

I don't know Murky, I really didn't think I posted that much ??

Sorry, someone was always going to run with that one, I'll go back and sit in my corner

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wasn't he talking about me?????

Hmm yeah, I dunno Squid. You are certainly very relaxed about how much you let go here. So how many Yellow cards are you going to give? No difference than simply saying, last warning and then you take a Holiday is it? Boy look how many chances CR and BS got. And in the end, DR is back again. Although I must say he is certainly a lot lot better this time. And i also have to say, he wasn't the first to start stirring the pot this time also. So what happens then? do you yellow card the others that may show a little Hostility first?

No argument here, just thoughts to consider. And only becasue we tried that on CF too with the 3 strikes rule. Apart form a very small number that headed the card system and it was a very small number, the majority that were booted would have been anyway. I am sure KM will agree with me here, this is a far more civil Forum than CF. If you add about a i/2 Dozzen BS's to this place, you would have a fairly similar place here.

I do have one very big question though. How on earth is it that you don;t have Spam here. CF and several other Forums on the Web are inundated by it.

BS got the same sort of responses on CF as he did on Crew but then I do think there is an element of quite intentional wind-up in a lot of what he posts. I've chatted to him a few times off forum about things assorted. He maybe stupid but he's also very intelligent.

Over the last year or 2 it's been pretty obvious when someone has continually stepped out too far and the general consensus has got to the 'It's time for a holiday' point. MS wasn't shy in informing said person their time was running out yet giving more than enough room for any style change before the curtain came down.

If anything I think the best way to probably start something like that is just a polite word from Mr Squid off forum. A email with a gentle 'Play nice as you are pushing it all a tad out to far' would be enough for most to realise it's time to tapper back. That works more times than knot on CF. If they continue it's a 'Oui, I did ask nicely now I'm knot' email and if that doesn't work MS shuts the door for a time frame or eternity. Doing that on forum will just garner a pile of 'yeah piss off noddy' posts as we have seen and I'd suggest that's unneeded and knot a good look really. Mind you some of them are farking hilarious and very entertaining.

Bugger the weather. Can't play on boat so having to go through 2500 products one by one instead. Gawd it's more boring than a very boring thing.

I do have one very big question though. How on earth is it that you don;t have Spam here. CF and several other Forums on the Web are inundated by it.

Mummyship killed it long ago, haven't had an issue for ages.

Guest Brucey

A good and valid discusion for sure. The site must be comended for instigating such a discussion, and despite all comments, this site does have many worthwile and valuable discussions about a topic we are all very pasionate about.

Booboo, your comment about aninimity is sad but true, too many want to know who you are while having a discusion so that they can bag you because of this or that advantage, or assistance, knowledge or other from your background, often of no relivance to the discussion.

At lease as an unknown they are forced to argue points and fact rather than people, forced to play the ball not the man if you like.

Squid, I must say as an rabid supporter of democracy, I couldnt favour the yellow card senario, as any dictatorship eventually goes sour, and from what I have read the "foe" button does give options to us? Think hard before taking on the roll of God.

At the risk of banging on like a stuck record, if all waffel continues to be confined to "Small Talk" would the "View Active but No sh*t just sailing" button satisfy all. Those who just want to talk sailing can choose this option, and all others with the time and or inclanation can continue with the "View All Active".

That way those who want to continue to use the site in a "social networking" way can do so, while those of us who find frustration in having to trawl through 10 topics to find the two or five good and interesting sailing discussions can do so, and on the odd ocasion we have either an hour to waste or need an argument we can go chuck some sh*t in "Small talk".

Think hard before taking on the roll of God.

Not directing anything directly at you Brucey. It's the comment itself i am addressing. Because it brings to mind one of the biggies on CF. People seem to have this idea that a Forum like this is a Public space and everyone has a right to be here and freedom of speach and right to bare arms and ra ra ra. But actually these places are private property, this one being owned by Squid. The members are invited in by Squid and are expected to follow his "house rules". So in a way, it is indeed a dictatorship, although not the best of words to describe it. It is certainly not a democracy however. Squid has to balance what he wants in a site first and foremost. Apparently there is a lot more money to be made in advertising those really poor girls that can't afford clothes. But he isn't providing that. Here at least. Sailing is his second love (after his Wife and family...I hope). So he has to balance what kind of site he wants, along with what members ask for, because in the end the number of members bring in the advertisers. So he has to listen to the members needs and wants, but at the same time, he ultimately has the say in what the place will be. I mean, if the larger majority of members decided they wanted this place to support those poor girls that can't afford clothes or else they will leave, Squid would say no and maybe lose half of those members because he wants to have a site dedicated to Sailing and all those members can go and take a leap.

We are fortunate that Squid is fairly laid back and the members overall are quite well behaved. But everyone needs to understand that these Forums are very much Private and no member or group of members has any right here.

One thing i can say from experience, is that as Crew grows, the more difficult it will becomes to balance the wants and needs. Eventually Squid will need to just follow his own nose. And I think he has done so for the most part and only adds something or removes something if a vast majority have asked.

One thing that is nice on SA is that when you click on a picture that is embedded in the message it expands in a seperate frame to full size.... Any chance??

I thought wwe already had that?

Archived