The original GBE.

Yeah, some big bits of 4x2 slung underneath/along the hulls and the ply screwed to these.  Nice idea but could be done better.  I'd probably remove the hard decks and either replace with a decent new tramp or redo them with different materials... the ply deck is looking pretty green/stuffed.

There was also a wee (3-4cm) ding/scrape/crack in the glass on the port nose/bow and the wood behind is spongy - possibly only one season but looking a bit green.  I have a reasonable amount of glass over ply boat fixing up knowledge and to me this didn't look too bad if it's fixed immediately. But the main issue is that water travels so you'll be stripping the glass off the bow section (hoping like hell it hasn't traveled to the bottom and further back) drying out the wood then cutting and keying in sections as needed.  Soggy bow sections scare me because there's a certain amount of stress on the plys so they will spring if too soggy or they rot.  Not a pretty picture when you're crashing through waves in the middle of FKW. Best case scenario is that it's recent, the water hasn't traveled, it dries out, you can shore it up with some thinned epoxy and re-glass it. 

Many of the lines need replacing, tramps look average, foils look like they could do with replacement/rebuilds, the transom mountings for the pintels are un-glassed ply sections with flaking paint, so really should be ripped off and replaced, ummm, dare I go on?

As I said, she needs quite a bit of work.

Agreed! And sometimes I wish I'd gone for the "Haul her out and do the work first" approach, rather than the "Leave her on ScottiE's mooring and hope for calm days to do the work approach. Luckily the solid parts were already pretty good, so its just lots and lots and even more lots of strings and randomly developed bits and pieces.

It seems the Auckland multi fleet is expanding at quite a fast pace, there appear to be boats changing hands every few days at present. 

Quite a few not-very-modded GBE's, maybe we could get a "Classics" division going! Anything with the original hull shape, even the mk3's.

Someone decided they needed the Rudder Foil off GBE on Friday more than I do. Does anyone know where there might be a Rudder I can get hold of. We are going back in the water on Sunday at 6.30am. The cord length is 250mm. My number is 0211906348

I have 2 old rudder blades at home off my old GBE (Rental). They are not overly flash but will get you out on the water. We made new ones off the mould that I borrowed from Bill Barry. Come around and have a look to see if one of them will work. My wife will be glad to see the back yard cleared! I live in Birkenhead phone 0212222143

Cheers

Josh

Booboo you don't have two standard gbe centreboards too do you?

Euphoria has awesome new foils all round, but fitting them properly won't happen until the winter.

And I'm not getting a lot of sailing done this summer yet!

Someone decided they needed the Rudder Foil off GBE on Friday more than I do. Does anyone know where there might be a Rudder I can get hold of. We are going back in the water on Sunday at 6.30am. The cord length is 250mm. My number is 0211906348

Hi BBE88,

I have a good condition rudder in Wellington if you need one.

• Downvote 1