crusing northland

Can some one tell me what is required when sailing north?

i believe the northland council wants proof of recent clean off from vessels south of whangarei.need proof to enter whangarei tutukaka opua etc

is this correct? and how does the coastal classic fleet get on?surely not every vessel would under go inspection or what about overseas vessel clearing customs at opua?

may of already been covered else where but cannot locate info.

I have heard nothing at all in regard to inspections etc. They NRC) are working at building a marine empire so it may be on their wish list. Fan worm is in Marsdem Marina, as well of most of the other hitchhikers that have arrived on commercial shiping over the years. Having a holding tank is a must, unless you have  either a composting toilet or an acceptable treatment system.

• Upvote 1

We spent 6 weeks doing the northland coast a couple of years ago. At Opua and Marsden Cove marina we were asked for the following Proof of insurance, proof of when the hull was last cleaned and holding tank.We carry copies of the insurance certificate and the last haulout which they take copies of.At Opua they provide a big cable tie to go around your holding tank dump valve and they sometimes come aboard and check that you are using it.At Whangaroa the harbour master was going round the boats and asking about holding tanks they did not board and I believe you can refuse them board though I might be wrong on that one.There is only one spot within the bay in which you could empty your tank. and that information is on the council website. We found it all no big drama as we were prepared with the right paperwork. However awesome cruising hopeful  in getting up this year

Its all here.

Far North Holdings Ltd have devised the plan.

Its a real can of wormss and needs to be read.

You can refuse the diver and be reported.

In terms if the "marina".. I am not sure if that means you are inspected if you "berth" or just access it from a swing mooring / anchored off.

The stupid thing is you can arrive into any of the bays and anchor with no issue but come into the marina/area (or tell them you are coming) and they can be all over you like a rash.

Heresnthe official doc...

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.bayofislandsmarina.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/BOI-Marina-Mediterranean-Fan-Worm-Management-Plan.pdf&ved=0CB8QFjABahUKEwjTh7e4gZ3IAhVhYqYKHfKeCcI&usg=AFQjCNF67-IeMIhn4iTK-2tm7agxpM0JSw

A mate has been doing some research too, this is his email to our old farts baby boomers Boat owners buyers and who to avoid group ( Hahaha)

"I was doing some research after our Fan worm discussion.

I phoned the NRC 24 hour Environmental hotline 0800 504 639 and spoke to a guy called Cameron, who was very knowledgeable.

The situation is:

Auckland is considered a ‘High Risk’ area, so the following steps must be taken.

1) The boat must be hauled and water blasted 1 month prior to entering a BOI Marina. Proof must be provided i.e. invoice or photographic attached to a date.

2) Or Hauled and antifouled within 6 months with proof

Proof can be: Invoice from the yard, or an invoice when you purchased the anti foul, or photographic proof if you applied it yourself.

Particular attention should be taken when antifouling props, shafts, anodes and skin fittings, as these are common points for the worm to attach."

I also had a very interesting conversation with a marine biologist who tells me that this is a battle that can't be won and that although fan worm is a competitive species ( with all that implies) it actually does not do anything else but filter the water.

So , How dangerous actually is this thing? anyone know? Another opinion?

end of day could make a passage to boi,make no announcements and just arrive?so whats the point of the exercise by northland council?cannot refuse a vessel to replenish water/food etc just a means to try and screw $$out of us?

Antifouling in the next month but may not go north till end of january and most likely loose receipt for paint

There is a Nog and Natter at the Whangarei Cruising club tonight starting at 1900, with a NRC rep there to inform you / us as to what you / we need to do to deal with marine organisms and your obligations to be compliant. bar open and nibbles available.

There is a Nog and Natter at the Whangarei Cruising club tonight starting at 1900, with a NRC rep there to inform you / us as to what you / we need to do to deal with marine organisms and your obligations to be compliant. bar open and nibbles available.

HI Steve, are you going?  If so, would you mind making a brief report back to this thread on any points raised?

Cheers

• Upvote 1

If so please ask

What are their chances of success?

What are they doing about commercial vessels, fishing boats, navy, cruise ships?

What are they doing about the mass of boats that will sail there from Auckland and never go to the marina?

Repeat - what are the chances of success?

Are they aware that the best solution for recreational boating would be for the MFW to become established sooner rather than later so all this nonsense will go away?

Are they aware that the best solution for recreational boating would be for the MFW to become established sooner rather than later so all this nonsense will go away?

really?  your idea of looking after our environment is to stuff it as fast as possible so it cant get any worse??

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately I am a Country member so wont be there,  Maybe another Whangarei member who uses this forum and is going will respond.

I know from trying to discuss the situation of foreign bodies (marine) coming into NZ waters and ending up on yacht hulls with MAF folk at the boat show, there is no discussion, they know best!!

I have had a reasonable run with the last lot of antifoul I applied, (Hempel Millie Dynamic Alu.) Went to get some for this years antifouling, only to find they have had to remove it as the spec has apparently been banned in NZ. The same product ticks all the Aussie boxes and is acceptable over there?? Hempel says it will take 5 years to get a new replacement product through certification.

They don't want foreign organisms on our hulls, yet they take away the antifouling paints that work.

• Upvote 1