Noelex 22 outboard motors

Hi folks, new here, just moved to Whangarei from ChCh. Bought my Dad's old Noelex 22 off my brother in Auck whose owned it the past six years. When he went to replace the Honda outboard 9hp the new model wouldn't fit, so he sent it back and went to Mercury who installed a 9.9. Trouble is it's very tight and the shaft touches the hull, makes it vibrate, and the locking mechanism gets stuck....to undo it puts fingers in danger when you have limited access in the motor well. Its so big ypu cant even get your hands round the back of it when its down. So it seems the new models of the 8+ HP motors have much larger engine cases which is a problem for Noelex 22s. So, I went to google the Noelex 22 specs and saw that in the 1970s they originally recommended 6hp plus. So I am thinking of a Yamaha 6hp four stroke. Just wondering, if 6hp enough to get you home in a big wind and any thoughts or experience you folks can offer? I figure a smaller motor that is workable and functional is better than a more powerful one that gets stuck in the wrong position and jams your fingers etc....

Four stroke engines tend to have bulkier  powerheads than the equivalent HP 2 stroke so you could end up with a similar situation. Years ago I had a Sigrid 21, which is very similar to a Noelex 22 ( narrow for length, - easily driven) I had a Yamaha 6 hp 2stroke  as an auxilliary on that and it was fine, pushing into 20 knots or so and a bit of chop no trouble. If you want an 8hp check out the yammie 2 stroke - it has a low profile motor/cowling and might fit your well ok.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/products/marine-outboard/2-stroke-portable/11-8c

In my opinion a 9.9 is a good deal more than you need. I had a 25 ft TS and it went well with a 7.5 hp 2 stroke, it would hold hull speed easily at under half throttle. Once when I was bashing into about 25+ knot head winds and fairly big seas my speed dropped to about 4 knots but it got me there.

As mentioned above. It is worth fitting a high thrust/ lower pitch prop when using an outboard as a sail-boat axillary. A 4 or 5 hp with a hi thrust prop will probably give more usable power than a 6 or 7 hp with a standard prop. 

Had a N22 in the 80's at New Plymouth - came with a 7.5 4 stroke Honda which I replaced with a  6 horse 2 stroke Johnson. Standard prop on both and both worked well, even in the Tasman swells and waves. A four stroke may give you better battery charging ability. 

Hey thanks so much for the offer. The problem with a long shaft in a Noelex is it wouldn't be able to swing up/retract without hitting the stern. Thanks for the info though and I have a back issue too so definitely wanting something lighter than the Mercury 9.9 that my brother put on the boat! Currently got an offer to swap it for a newer Yamaha 6hp short shaft so will see if that pans out. Thanks to all the others who posted too- really helpful info

Four stroke engines tend to have bulkier powerheads than the equivalent HP 2 stroke so you could end up with a similar situation. Years ago I had a Sigrid 21, which is very similar to a Noelex 22 ( narrow for length, - easily driven) I had a Yamaha 6 hp 2stroke as an auxilliary on that and it was fine, pushing into 20 knots or so and a bit of chop no trouble. If you want an 8hp check out the yammie 2 stroke - it has a low profile motor/cowling and might fit your well ok.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/products/marine-outboard/2-stroke-portable/11-8c

I had an old Johnson 7.5 2 stroke in our N22, more than adequate in anything we encountered. The 22 has minimal windage and with the well the prop doesn't lift out. Have motored across Whangarei harbour into 40 knots with no problems. Witnesses told me that we got completely airborne the same day, under kite as we entered Parua Bay, close to the nook.

I had an old Johnson 7.5 2 stroke in our N22, more than adequate in anything we encountered. The 22 has minimal windage and with the well the prop doesn't lift out. Have motored across Whangarei harbour into 40 knots with no problems. Witnesses told me that we got completely airborne the same day, under kite as we entered Parua Bay, close to the nook.

Some Ross 930's use 8hp OK. I have used a 30 yo 8hp 2 stoke on mine and while my usual 9.9hp yammy 4 stroke high thrust would cream the 8hp, the little one did OK especially as it's about 2 tonnes lighter or so it sometimes seems.

So based on that I'd think if I were you I'd be looking at a 6hp Yammy 4 stroke, they are smaller in size and lighter than Hondas, but fit it with a High Trust prop.

Smaller lighter easier fit yet with some good punch due to the prop. You won't win the World Offshore Speedboat racing but I'm reasonably confident you'll do OK even in crap weather.

The Noelex are a easy driven hull so throwing lost of Hp at them came often add bugger all. Do you know of anyone with a 6hp you could borrow for an hour? Doesn't mater what sort as it will give a good indication of whether you're in a good area.

Good comments from Greg, especially with his similar experiance. We do differ in strokes though, I prefer the cleaner quieter less fuel consuming 4 strokes myself, but he is right in saying a 2 stroke will be lighter.

As a FYI there was a big chat on asian made 'no name' outboards here a wee while back and the consensus was don't go there, buying a known name is still the smarter option. But the chat also suggested the no names were worth watching as they got their excrement together.

Yep we have a r780 and the 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke long shaft is a great engine. Light and grunty. Would be loads for a noelex 22. 6 horse would do the job. I recently used a 4 HP to push a platu 25 upwind from gulf harbour to the city and it coped well too.

Wow, that's cool, were you going downwind? Was the centreboard up when you were airborne?

Yes, downwind with reefed main, jib, and kite.

We kept the board locked down for safety, and, ummm... didn't really have a lot of spare hands. We raced 3-up all the time, and in that sort of breeze were too busy just keeping the boat on her feet to bother with anything except the vitals. Those were our conditions. Anything under about 25knots and the N25's etc would leave us behind going downhill, although we could match them upwind in all weather. In the big stuff tho we would finish a leg ahead, as we could beat them in every direction.

One of my biggest regrets in sailing is that I left the Noelex fleet. For an all rounder they're hard to beat, but can be a bit small inside. My parents and I spent quite a lot of time cruising around the Northland coast (My parents weren't sailors, so that bit was left to me, but they loved getting a new perspective on all their favourite beaches etc). 

A week in Mangonui/ doubtless bay with three large adults made us appreciate the ability to get to the beach and get off the boat, that's for sure!

The YNZ Safety regs (Part 5) Trailer Yachts;

Here the ruling is;

Motor rating shall be a minimum of 0.6 kW per metre overall length (approximately equivalent to 0.25 hp per foot of overall length). Motor rating shall be as per the manufacturer’s specification.

That comes out at about 5.5 hp for a N22, therefore 6 is the most common used. I'm not sure if its still the same but the 6 and 8 hp models used to be the same weight etc so many went for the 8 hp as there is no penalty weight wise etc. There was the odd time we were thankful for the 8 hp. As mentioned above the sail drive prop also make a very big improvement.