Why cant we buy this Antifoul

Anyone have a preferred antifoul for the Tamaki River?  Boat will get sponged down every two weeks (on average!)

i am at panmure,hempels lasted 4 months and number 10  2yrs,with 2 quick hauls,coming out today for a week,yep shes filfy last clean off march

coppercoat, for sure,   if you are going to clean every 2 weeks most antifouls will not last long at all , coppercoat will not be getting wiped off with the sponge and will last many years, we had it on a cat there and cleaned every few months when it suited us , worked as well as any other antifoul I have had, and the slime came off easily. Gives a very smooth fast finish and will handle the odd beaching too. Saves a lot of time and money on haulouts and more antifoul over 10 years.  Needs a perfectly clean surface to apply to but now is the time to do it while the boat is out.

Since this is an AF topic, I've gone back and forth in my head for a long time on copper coat type systems and I'm very much still on the fence over them - If they are as good as some say they are why arent they in use everwhere? What isn't MPI pushing copper epoxy systems to help fight invasive species? It's one thing i can't reconcile in my head. Is coppercoat only good in a limited specific setups?

lots of people have opinions, try and find people who have actually tried coppercoat in the last few years, I had a boat that had some sort of coppercoat like epoxy copper applied in the 90s that didn,t work apparently, some people still have opinions based on past experiences. Plus some people have tried to make thier own coppercoat like stuff and these failures become part of peoples opinions too, mostly people are put off by the high initial cost , I haven,t put it on my own boat yet because I have changed boats on average every 2 years or so. but maybe this current boat is a keeper, but I still have 2 tins of warpaint to use first. Coppercoat is partcularly good on multis with outboards where apart from antifoul application you don,t need to haul out really at all.

Since this is an AF topic, I've gone back and forth in my head for a long time on copper coat type systems and I'm very much still on the fence over them - If they are as good as some say they are why arent they in use everwhere? What isn't MPI pushing copper epoxy systems to help fight invasive species? It's one thing i can't reconcile in my head. Is coppercoat only good in a limited specific setups?

We have copper coat and are very happy with it. The main reason its not used everywhere, I believe, is that the hull needs to be completely cleaned back to apply it, meaning applying it is a major. If most people already have a preferred type of AF, they may have some motivation to change, but not enough to tackle what is a much bigger job than just putting on another coat of the existing between tides. Basically cost and effort is a barrier to entry.

Also, it doesn't actually suit everyone, for various subtle reasons.

I worked on a ship that had Intersleek, great while the vessel  is hardly in port but when it stopped for a couple of months the bottom got fouled quickly. I asked the paint rep about putting it on my yacht, no he said only good if your underway most of the time.

Popped to my marine shop today and shock horror wtf, The stock of Altex number 10 when its gone its gone,no longer be available  for recreational use,will be commercial available only,Why? because it works  :mad:

That sounds weird. Is it perhaps going to be under the Carboline branding? Or is it that the retailer is the one dropping it, not Altex dropping the product?
I tried a google on No10 and could come up with no info in regards to anything about it

The changes to the approvals mean that labels, safety data sheets and, in some cases, packaging will need to be changed for
antifouling paints. Antifouling paint covered by declined approvals can no longer be imported or manufactured but existing
stocks can be sold and used.

Antifouling paints with time limited approvals cannot be imported or manufactured in New Zealand after the approval expires –
see Table 1. For example, antifouling paints containing the active ingredients diuron or octhilinone can no longer be imported or
manufactured in New Zealand after 1 July 2017

To read the entire reg, go here.

http://www.epa.govt.nz/Publications/Antifouling_manufacturers_and_importers.pdf

• Upvote 1

I think this removal of particular chemicals is the answer to why some AF's are not performing as well. The first chemical is banned already. You should not find it in an AF anymore.
Chlorothalonil. This is a broad spectrum biocide and killed Algae and many other things.

Chemicals to be phased out next year.
Diuron A photosynthesis blocker
Octhilinone Fungicide
Ziram A fungicide with Zinc in it's make up. Can also be used to repel animals and birds from outdoor objects. Also an ingredient in adhesives and caulking products.
Thiram Fungicide and animal repellent

Are you guys conspiring to play a game of "Wind Up Fish Monday"?

On the one hand we have the spread of the invasive foreign marine pest (which apparently is very very bad for the environment) and then on the other hand, our Environmental Protection Authorities go and ban / remove any component of antifoul that may actually make it work, and assist in stopping the spread of said very very bad invasive marine pest?

Can someone just please shoot me  :evil:  :evil:

Agreed Fish! The thing that really gets me is that the "commercial use" of some of it is ok. Lots of ships still use TBT and come to NZ....

The rules, costs and legislation concerning our way of life are closing in. Depressing really...

why should it be available to commercial and not recreational/is it because comms are not in port long enough for any effects?they wants us to take measures we have no foul when moving around,yep agree with that but why take something off that works. Are we all going to going to go down copper coat road,stays on hull but not  ablative?