I wanna sell my PT!

So at 110kgs I'm history. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thread drift, apart from a Finn (yuck) what other dinghies are there for the big boys?

There are a few recovered anorexics in the OK fleet.

It has been said that the ideal weight for the 3.7 is 65-80kg, but I think it's more like 60-85.

Compared with other classes I think thats quite broad, and is the ideal range for people stepping up from the starling.

Like with any class, those near the upper limit whinge in light airs, and the light guys whinge in the heavy. I really don't think it makes that much difference.

My boat was set up by a guy who was around 85kg and I have been assured that he dominated the fleet in the light air. He built a stiff wing mast for it and the boat came with a very full dacron sail. I am using the flatter sail....

At 65kg I find myself overpowered easily and I think I would do better with one of those bendy c-tech rigs. Then I look at the likes of Brownie who weighs similar to me and has a similar rig, and realise that if I put the training in it won't matter so much.

We even have a young girl sailing at only 55kg and she does reasonably well until the breeze gets up; even then she fights hard to hang in there.

I really do think that the class rewards good sailing above crew weight. You look at the guys who have won nationals recently - they aren't winning because they're light, they're winning because they are world class sailors.

There are quite few 90+ and several 100+ skippers in the PT fleet.

I would not let it out of the bag but there is a 70+ year old skipper who would not sized for a 3.7 or a lazer. :shh:

And he always finishes in the top 10 at every regatta.

interesting,

I too am heavier than the "ideal", I have had my moments but the lightweights prevail.

I'm sure this has come up before, but besides the Fin n the OK, what's out there?

It has been said that the ideal weight for the 3.7 is 65-80kg, but I think it's more like 60-85.

Compared with other classes I think thats quite broad, and is the ideal range for people stepping up from the starling.

Like with any class, those near the upper limit whinge in light airs, and the light guys whinge in the heavy. I really don't think it makes that much difference.

My boat was set up by a guy who was around 85kg and I have been assured that he dominated the fleet in the light air. He built a stiff wing mast for it and the boat came with a very full dacron sail. I am using the flatter sail....

At 65kg I find myself overpowered easily and I think I would do better with one of those bendy c-tech rigs. Then I look at the likes of Brownie who weighs similar to me and has a similar rig, and realise that if I put the training in it won't matter so much.

We even have a young girl sailing at only 55kg and she does reasonably well until the breeze gets up; even then she fights hard to hang in there.

I really do think that the class rewards good sailing above crew weight. You look at the guys who have won nationals recently - they aren't winning because they're light, they're winning because they are world class sailors.

when Matt Mitchell had your boat and set it up he was never over 75kg.

And the Wing on your boat (the first we ever built) is also the softest.

Well then I stand corrected... I do remember being told he was heavier than that, but if you were involved in building the mast then you would know better than me.

I'm still learning to set the boat up right and had too much rake last time I went out.

I was amazed when I swapped with a guy who has a 'stiff' c-tech at how bendy it was in comparison, it seemed easier to de-power.

At the moment I am happy with the mast as I am going extremely fast off the wind and I think I have more things slowing me down up-wind than rig setup... (like staying out of the water!)

Can you recommend anything in terms of adjusting diamond tension? This has got to be the main area I'm not to sure about. I've got it with the front diamond slightly slack and the sides hand tight trying to keep them as even as possible. Then I'm over-rotating to try line up with the angle of attack on the sail.

I keep looking longingly at a Contender. They seem like a nice well mannered boat for a big fella.

I off-loaded my contender at the rubbish tip a few years ago after some buggar stole the mast. Ive still got a few sails lying around that a free to a good home if you ever find a boat to go with them.

Are you sure Tim,

I'll chase up an Australian Sailing, but I'm sure they fit a big fella and the current world champion had to put on weight to be competitive

well what a disappointing response

plenty of lookie-loo's, but that's about it

you can't get a pt of this quality on the water for less

- in my humble opinion of course

Am I wrong?

Archived