Skipper wanted for Auckland to Wellington

Same as BP. I've also done a few deliveries. incl a Raven 26 Opua to Wellington (Mana) via North Cape. That is a more robust vessel than a Farr 727...

The NZ coast, especially south of Auckland, deserves respect. Yes, you are in the range of a chopper. No, I don't want to have to use the rescue services.

Sure, given the right conditions, good equipment, a boat in top condition,and no schedule, this trip can be done in a 727. Commercial deliveries are not normally like that. 

It will be a wet, cold, bouncy trip - even in mid summer. I used to like that when I was 20 something. Now, the $ would have to make it worthwhile, and the boat and schedule as above. Does it meet those conditions?

Oh, and IMO anchoring each night and going ashore is not practicable on much of the NZ coast..

If the owner and his boat meets these conditions, and can wait until Feb, then I may be interested...

Still the best, most reliable, and probably cheapest option is a trailer, IMO.

Not attractive in the sense that not many delivery skippers would want the job.

And I thought I had better call you out on the idiot idea of "anchoring every night", in case some newbie might actually have taken that seriously. As I said it would be downright dangerous.

Advocating vehicle trailer is most definitely dangerous and advocating unsafe practises on the roads and you run the risk on doing the clutch with failed brakes on a u turn narrow corner. Dude what are you on? Its a 727. It weighs 1200-1300kg. Probably less and certainly not much more than most of the caravans towed all over NZ every day. Braked trailer no problem.

OC

I wondered about that, but as above I then worried that someone might read it and take it seriously, this being a public forum.

Bit like the trailering statement..... I must have been so wrong for trailering my farr around the country for over five years, it weighed in on the weighbridge at 2800kg laden up with gear for a month long holiday. My clutch and brakes survived and I survived and so did my family.

It is a shame that those with no knowledge seem to find the need to promote their own self importance by appearing to know what they are talking about yet have not a clue. Best people like that stick to discussing the quality of rechargeable torches and other such things.....

....Given that I am part way through a 2000 nm delivery and am stuck waiting for a new gearbox.......

I thought I would put my 6.3 cents in..

The problem with small boat coastal passages is that the boats are small.......

Coastal conditions can change very quickly and by virtue sea state can get short and sharp. 2 metre steep and close seas can need the most demanding of attention to steerage in a small low freeboard vessel.

Its not fun. 

Heading out to sea to longer frequency waves means.....you are a long way from shore..and safety for a small vessel.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious but as mentioned the only sensible way to do a passage like this is to have a completely open ended time frame. Make runs within good weather windows with plenty of good weather up your sleeve for the inevitable delays (Like current runs around headlands).

This sort of trip is a "Lifestyle delivery" that is the hourly rate is going to be even worse than delivery rates usually work out to be. 

As an aside ..I have made a few temporary boat stands.

(Including cutting down my brothers tractor shed...but thats another story)

For a boat that size you can knock one up in an hour or so with scaffolding gear, a bit of timber and carpet.

Hi All,

being the one who put this post up, I want to thank you all for contributing - maybe slightly less if you answer was more relevant to another topic...

I have not sailed in NZ before; mostly North Sea and Atlantic. And mostly 1/2-tonne, 1-tonne or big sturdy 50ft cruisers. In all you have reinforced my opinion about sailing that stretch of water in a small boat:

• It looks to be about 350Nm from Napier to Wellington by sea, so that is quite a stretch for a 1/4 tonner;
  • Essentially there is no place to run or hide if the weather goes bad on that stretch;
  • I have just bought that boat and have not sailed with it significantly or any other Farr727;
  • At this moment to the boat misses a lot of the equipment that would give some assurance in bad weather;
  • I do not have the time to do this myself;
  • I do not expect a stretch of fair weather long enough to just give it a shot.

I have looked into whipping up a "one-time-trailer", but that did not work out. So, she will go on a truck and will arrive in Wellington just in time for X-mas. Again, thanks for all your responses and advice.

Lastly, for those who think that this trip can be done "200m off the coast, anchoring at night", can I ask you to please think again and/or recalibrate your respect for the sea?

Regards and safe passage to all!

• Upvote 4

Napier to Wellington is only 200 odd miles but a very exposed coastline as you say.

And the last bit is Cook Strait that has a bit of a reputation for weather.

You have made the right call trucking the 727 IMHO.

Enjoy the Farr in Wellington, there will be plenty of time for coastal trips in the future.

Totally agree KM. The vessel does not have an inboard motor so probably has a transom bracket for o/motor.

USA, Great lakes a  26 footer MacGregor yacht that can do 40 mph. Won the drag trailer sailor motoring drag race. [ Vessels speed competition  that is Black panther]

Standard model does 18 mph plus. The turkey [40 mph ] put a larger O/ board motor on the vessel and water skis also with it.

Can understand trailer problem because it has a keel. So the posters advocating trailing perhaps  at a guess would be restricted launching and  have retrieving problems partically at low tides.. I wonder perhaps if it hand a retractable center board and a non experienced vehicle tower would have considerable risk periods and would be a risk to others on the roads for the journey. Towing is not a instant !st time risk free experience, partically on narrow corners that one would have to reverse to allow a truck or bus that could not, situations

Agree trucking you have made a decision a decision for you, what you think is best. Be interested to know the commercial rate assuming you are engaging a commercial road transporter.

Agree KM Spots for the passage. All the Hauraki Islands, port Jackson, Bays all the way to whakatane to east cape including the Mercs IS, Slipper Island and with a larger motor that can be hired Mayor Is and others for greater distances from shore to save mileage if time became a qualifying decision making exercise..  

No where was it stated you had sail the vessel.

Napier to Wellington  you do with a northerlies or calm  weather common for December and probably do some water sking also.. A lot on fishing vessels shelter At Mahia penn and castle port L/house from strong southerlies so there is shelter available for that stretch / water.

I know yachties that have sheltered at castle Point and sheltered for the evening at Mahia Penn.

I have the greatest respect for the oceans and I might add they have the greatest respect for OC

This Boys and Girls is why you should say no to drugs.

• Upvote 1

Good decision to truck it.

We brought our SR26 from Nelson to Tauranga on a borrowed Fizz boat trailer and it had big ugly wings on it so was overwidth would barely fit through the Ferry Gates but didn't bother anyone, even the cop who stopped when we were retying everything to ask if we needed a hand.

Smack was lost during, as describe by Peter Blake at that time as the worst storm he had ever experienced after leaving Hobart.

The vessel was almost lost and I think at that time it was a RTW Whitbread designed boat named "Burton Cutter". 

As a complete sidetrack - just because I cannot let little "facts" like this go by uncorrected, the vessel that the Blakes (newlyweds at that stage) were aboard in this storm was Condor of Bermuda, which had been Heath's Condor in the 2nd Whitbread race the previous year.  Burton Cutter was in the first race.  She was certainly hove to for a period, but I don't believe she was "almost lost".  Yes - it was certainly a nasty storm and the seas I experienced remain the largest I have ever experienced, though they were not dangerous where we were (our position was east of North Cape and at least 48 - 72 hours sailing away from both Condor and Smackwater Jack) - just very very big.  We had a different experience from the boats in the Tasman.

During the period Smackwater Jack is supposed to have been lost (by which I mean the time frame - not the certainty of her loss) we were in shelter and at anchor in Whangaroa Harbour.  I remember sitting anchor watch in the cockpit watching the needle of our analogue anemometer stuck at its maximum of 60 knots - just sitting there with the needle hard against the stop.  It was the middle of the night.  I don't know the maximum gust we encountered but do remember leaving the cockpit to try to prevent halyards - already tied back from the mast - from banging loudly.  I could only crawl along the deck, even though we were in flat water (you all know the Pekapeka Bay arm of Whangaroa).  At that time both Condor and Smackwater were still west of Cape Reinga.  If I recall it is believed that Smackwater was still about 500 miles west (I may be wrong - it was 36 years ago).

I also remember being very nervous earlier as we entered Whangaroa in the last of the daylight, with the seas breaking on either side like nothing I have seen before or since.  Three or so years later, when Lionheart was lost while trying to make Whangaroa on her way back from Suva (another severe storm event) I remember thinking "There, but for the grace of God..."

We were not in contact with either vessel but were listening. We and others heard earlier normal traffic concerning both boats and we think we heard Smackwater the previous day but given the distance we probably heard a relayed message.  As I recall, nobody heard a later distress call from Smackwater though she had reported some degree of "trouble".  Others may well recall this better than me.

I did not want to hijack this thread earlier with my irrelevant sidetrack, but now as the OP's question has been addressed and concluded, though I would just slip this in.

• Upvote 2