Where can I get a tricolour masthead light that isn't $1,000,000+ ?

Hi Marinheiro,

My nav lights are above but ..... my emerg lights are pulpit mounted.

It all comes a bit a a pain with masthead lights as technically the steaming light should be higher than nav lights  which means if you have masthead lights you need a second set lower for motoring. 

But if you have then low, you cant have them below deck level and they cant be obscured by the sail ..... so this is best practical, or impractical solution.

We don't motor that much at night .... so the mounting the emerg nav lights is a compromise, but legal

Until I get pinged ..... I will run it that way..... or plan to be home at night

Further to your tri colour lights Isand Time. Whats this strobe light business about, what is its purpose?  , is this some kind of overseas regulation as not a requirement here and no doubt increases the price. I take it you dont have a tri colour/anchor without the strobe? I am keen on your lights and  I saw somewhere you have some wiring that would do the job here.

i think

technically strobes on a slow moving sail boat are a no no

as they are reserved for fast moving ferries in busy harbors +  life-rafts and life jackets everywhere else 

however

especially solo sailors crossing oceans 

have found mast head strobes as being 1 of the most reassuring ways of not being run down by big ships 

714PH4X5FRL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.gif

if the astrolab reef had had a strobe on it

the rena probably would have navigated around the radar return it was giving

rather than ignoring it

The strobe is really for identifying an individual vessel after radio contact, or for search and rescue. I've had a mate ask me "where are you" when I had my tricolor on, and he was almost 5 miles away. I turned on the strobe, and within a few seconds, he says " ok, got you now". There is also a lense on the top of the light that provides a wide angle upward component to the strobe so a searching aircraft can easily find the boat. The strobe is not part of the colregs, but it is something that is good to have IMO.