A cruising conundrum

So. You put your toothbrush in the sink next to the loo. It disappears down the plughole before you can grab it. Do you

A. Use the spare and leave it where it is

B. Disconnect the exit hose at the through hull and fish it out.

If B do you throw it away even though the sink empties into the toilet intake not discharge. Or give it a rinse then finish cleaning your teeth since it is only connected to the intake not the discharge.

I need to resolve this quickly.

....the boat I am on tonight was designed by clever people...

It must have taken them years to perfect the benched toothbrush to toilet vectors...

....on both heads.....

But there you go...perfection is possible.

The designers added a degree of subtly by installing vacu flush dunnies..the ones with the closing flap.

This allows one to contemplate the full horror of the "swimming tooth brush" without actually blocking the heads pipes .( The blocking is left to the new brands of indestructible face wipes and of course tampons)

But in your case..

The answer is simple......allow the fruit of your loins to have a semi random party on board, which will result in her/his friends not understanding the rules of our land and the throne of joy will cease to function....

At this point you "call the man".....he will then retrieve your tooth brush....

as a most alternative eco person you will give the tooth brush to the disgraced off spring and command him/her to polish the bright work as punishment... 

easy ..

What am I doing wrong?

Obvious, you like the woman in your life to be the Dominant ones ;-)

Very fortunately we have only ever had the toilet block twice in 14yrs of operation. Both times, it cleared very simply using a plunger. Phew!

HHmmm I do understand and sympathise BP...

I would suggest saying "I am waiting for a phone call about it"...(which is universally understood by the younger generation)....and then handing to them that must be obeyed a small plastic bucket..

...preferably while practising signing your name in "slash ink" over the side with that , that god gave us blokes...

Exclaiming "Oh bother there is no phosphorescence at the moment...but dont worry I will show you and your friends a bit later"...

You will probably still have to repair it, but it may stay working for a bit longer.........

Toothbrushes are only necessary if you eat sugar or carbohydrates.

For those who believe these are a natural part of our diet, please ask yourself how mankind 'brushed his teeth' before the introduction of sugar into our diet a little over 500 years ago by the West Indies Corporation.  The answer, you will find, is that he didn't need to.

(Dentistry, therefore, is an unnecessary industry.)

I can lose my toothbrush and wait until I get to harbor to buy a new one.  Because I am allergic to sugar and grains.

So, the ideal solution is to simply not need the damn thing in the first place.

But, if you're going to insist on putting that poison into your body, then I would suggest you tie a loop of twine or string on the handle and affix the opposite end to a point where you can reach to brush your teeth, but prevent losing the brush into the loo.  You might also consider flushing before brushing...

By the way, sugar was introduced into the human diet at the same time massive slavery was introduced into the human condition, at the same time capitalism was gifted to mankind.

Coincidence?

Yeah, right. People often didn't live to 50. And had no teeth by then.

"Yeah right?"

And this from an administrator?

I don't write something unless I know it is fact.  And that same philosophy holds true for my sailing.  I don't make decisions based on what someone tells me or what I hear or see on TV or wherever you get your "information."  I make observations.  I research.  I confirm, and I verify everything I know so that when I make a decision, it is the right decision.  And when I write something down in a place where others can read it, I make damn sure I'm right.  And I know for a fact that by and large, people's teeth were in a hell of a lot better shape than they are today, because they didn't eat gobs of refined sugar, a toxic substance that doesn't actually taste sweet (again, research, "sweet" is a cascade effect that is in reality a warning - try not eating ANYTHING sweet for three months and then eat a butterscotch candy or something and see if you don't spit it out instinctively...you know, verify what I am telling you...)  Of course, you'd play hell trying to get to the point where sweet acts as a warning, because you have been addicted to sugar and sweet things for your entire life.  And coming off sugar will give you the same, though more mild, symptoms as coming off of heroin.  I know, because I went through those symptoms when I found out I was allergic to sugar.

Ask yourself why no other animal on this planet needs dentistry (apart from our pets, which we feed the same crap we feed ourselves.)  My dogs do not eat dog food, they eat pure meat, and their teeth, like mine, are perfectly clean and do not need brushing.

I challenge ANYONE here to confirm what I say.  Try not eating anything but meat for three months.

Your dentist will hate you.

• Downvote 1

Almost. Even that much abused but very smart man Dr Atkins freely admitted that eating all meat was a dumb idea. All sugars are bad but not all carbs are sugars. Eating too larger amounts of red meat is thought to be a primary driver of bowel cancer.

Good carbs are mostly green leafy vegetables, Avoid starchy stuff like spuds.

Yes dentistry can be pretty much removed from your life, xylitol toothpaste can help repair existing damage, but I'd rather have a Chelsea bun and pay for a dentist!

Oh, and I once ate all meat for a whole year, yes my teeth were ok but I have since gained 25kg as soon as I started eating a balanced diet. Now I have major weight and health issues, so be careful whose advice you believe.

I also hold a degree in sports coaching including psych and nutrition.

There is so much misinformation around these days. The internet is full of it.

And I know for a fact that by and large, people's teeth were in a hell of a lot better shape than they are today, because they didn't eat gobs of refined sugar, a toxic substance

For instance, this is complete bollox. Sugar is NOT toxic. Or no more so than any other food group we eat. The word toxic is being used completely out of context and the original person to start calling it Toxic was meaning something very different when using the word. I think it was a grave error  that he did so, because ever since, others have simply parroted the word when talking about Sugar.
       Another issue is that Sugar is a word that tends to cover many things, and we need to be careful about what we call Sugar, and what is meant by calling it Sugar. For instance, we have "Cane Sugar" from which White sugar is made and that is what is so often simply called Sugar. But technically speaking and more correctly speaking, Sugars are a name for a multiple group of Saccharides. Cane sugar is of the group disaccharide and it's proper name is Sucrose.

Carbohydrates refers to chemical compounds consisting of Carbon, Oxygen and Hydrogen.  It covers Sugars, Fibres, Starches and these three or combination of the three can be found in Vegies, Fruits, Grains and Milk products. Carbs give the Body energy. While Proteins can give the body energy to some extent, it is not good for proteins to be used as such and thus it is important the Body gets Carbs.
The body needs Sugar. This is what the Cells need to do work. The Brain totally works on Sugar. Nothing else. There are no Muscles in the Brain, hence no need for Proteins.
But the Body can not use the complex sugars. It has to convert complex sugars to simple sugars, or Monosaccharide, which is more commonly called Glucose/Dextrose. Other monosaccharides are Frustose and Galactose, which it can also use. These simple Sugars are immediately absorbed. Complex sugars have to be modified to simple Sugars before the Body can use it. This takes time and hence the Body gets energy released over a longer time period.
Of course, it is far more complex that the simple short version here.

Teeth decay is caused by Bacteria. It has nothing to do with Sugar as such. But more about how the Food Bacteria feed on is coated over your teeth. Once food is on your teeth, then Bacteria feed and grow and they produce acids which eat the enamel and bores it's way into a tooth. The reason why some foods do not cause Tooth decay the same as others, is purely on how well the food cleans the teeth as you chew. Some foods naturally self clean. But don't ever think that a piece of meat stuck between teeth cannot cause decay, because it can.

The biggest issue with tooth decay is Acid and CocaCola has Phosphoric Acid added for taste. The stuff is strong enough to dissolve a coin over night. It is absolute death to Tooth enamel and I believe is the real cause of decay in Kids, rather than Sugar. It erodes the tooth so quickly and just wrecks it.

• Upvote 1