Anchor Winch problem

I have a Maxwell 2200 horizontal Anchor winch. For awhile now, the winch motor has started off slow and speed up to full speed. I suspected connections and checked. Nothing wrong there. I didn't suspect bearings because they are proper ball race bearings and a faulty one would be noisy. It was quite as a mouse. With this trip, I noticed a little pool of black like diesel engine oil seeping from under the body. I was perplexed because they don't have black oil and if there is any wear in the gearbox, the oil does not go black. So while sitting in Kiwiriki bay this morning, I decided to lift it off the deck and pull it apart. First thing I found was black oil leaking from the motor. Oh dear. That means the seal has gone and oil has leaked back into the motor. I removed the motor and it was full of oil. The black was the carbon dust from the brushes. The motor would go slow till the brushes got a connection with the armature and then it would run. So I spent all morning cleaning the thick black oil out of the motor. One Carbon brush has worn badly, but hopefully the motor will run OK. So now I will put it back together and hope for the best. When we get home, I will need to strip it again and give it a real good wash, replace the seal and new brush set I expect.
Oh joy.

It's all back together and running sweet. Before I installed to the motor, I took a quick look at the seal on the gearbox. The Seal was not home correctly. There is a step on the shaft and the seal was not on the larger step, so oil had weeped out around the seal/shaft. I ever so delicately whacked it home with a hammer and socket  and now have the seal around the slightly larger step and hopefully it may hold the oil where it is supposed to. Only small issue is the box is low on oil and I don't have gear oil. There should be enough to do the job though.