Antifoul - copper coat - Archived Thread re-posted

rigger

Also see:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13714&start=0&hilit=coppercoat

=============================================

nigelphilp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:05 am Post subject: copper coat

Anybody - especially if you are in Westhaven - have any experience (good, bad or indifferent) with this product??

Its time to scrub and tart the old bus again, and this stuff sounds the bees knees.

cheers

========================================================================

Slacko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:49 am

What are you intending to use it for?

There are other products specifically designed for antiseize between SS and Ali for example.

nigelphilp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:00 am

Sorry Slacko - I should have made it clear . The product I want opinions on is the anti foul called "Coppercoat".

Manufacturer and local agent makes some big claims about effectiveness of the system, and there seems to be plenty of testimonials, but on the basis that suitability of anti foul in location 'A' does not mean it will work everywhere I am especialliy interested in another 'Westhaven based opinion', hence the post.

Thanks anyway.

wheels

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:55 pm

I assume you mean the copper epoxy hard coating (not the old International ablative antifouling). I have heard as much negative as positive about this product. Personally I just don't see the benefits. The stuff may reduce some growth, but it doesn't stop it all. You still have to haul each year and clean the bottom. To get a good protection for the following season, you need to lightly sand the bottom to expose fresh copper. So in my opinion, you may as well blast the bottom and spray antifoul paint on each season.

Archived