getting the anode to stay put on the shaft6

It seems that every year after going back in the tide around 3-4 months later the anode on the prop shaft has worked loose. No matter how tight it is when put on.

I guess it's doing what it's supposed to do. .. wear down. Does everyone have this problem? Is there something I am not doing? I assume that it has to be tight to work properly.

and, as I was taught when the quality was not as good as it is now, bog up around the rebates where the bolts/ nuts are.

What that does is stop the anode eroding under the bearing surfaces( right where the dis similar metals are). The seats get eroded and loose, the bolts become loose , yada yada.

Yes, did the hammer tap thing. Thought it was bloody tight then.

JB...bog up where? Is that between the two parts or where the ends of each of the bolts are?

Do some of the latest anodes have something like a stainless grub screw to the shaft to keep it in contact with the shaft?

Martyr anodes are made so well that you can put em on without the bog by hammers and seating them up like Big T says. You do that .

older types or less well made ones can do with the filler around the heads of the bolt/ nut for the reason above. I still do it . belt and braces.

The last one was on 3 years and was still seated on the shaft, but was highly eroded. Like I say , its when the anode is eroded under the bolt or nut that it becomes loose. Then it rattles itself looser and you have to pay a big diver or someone to come along and put a new one on.

The answer is of course John that you must be using the boat too much, whilst the rest of us are on the treadmill keeping Mr Key resting in Hawaii you are out boating, its only right that something should wear out...

• Downvote 1