Flaking a Load Path sail on the boom....

Guys - Through a friend, I've stumbled into an opportunity to buy a new UK Carbon Load Path Main built for a tri for 1/5 of it's original price.  The guy had the sail made four years ago, and it has been sitting ever since.  Will a sail like this hold up to being flaked on my boom under a cover for 6 months out of the year?

Seems like a heck of a deal at $2000 USD.   The Luff is about a meter too long, but the first reef point should tack in just about right.   I should be able to cut off the bottom panel and go with it...

Your thoughts?

I was waiting for someone with better technical knowledge to chip in but they haven't so here I go!

Sounds fine, I'd go for it.

Our 3di carbon sail lives flaked on the boom, no dramas.

They are tough, so as long as you cover it it should be fine.

I wasn't sure if your reference to being laid up over winter suggested something a little more about ice, snow, cold temperatures affecting the fibres? If that was the case then for a long layup wouldn't you just leave it loosely flaked below on a forward berth.

Hoo man - This thing might come to fruition.  Closer measurement reveals that I might be able to use it without cutting, just a bit more area down low.   Boom is the right length and I could lower my gooseneck.   This is a big purchase for us - all comments welcome.

The sail was built for a highly modified F31R that blew up and hence the sail was never used after the initial fitting.

The sail looks like this:

kL5BibZ.jpg

And here is what it looks like overlayed on my sail plan.  It would move my CE forward a bit, which would be just fine frankly.  I still have significant weather helm when sailing close to the wind.

GIec2re.jpg

It is located 1200km from me, and the battens make for an expensive freight shipment.   Still mulling it over.

I think you should try to find out what mast bend and mast characteristics this sail's luff curve is designed for. If it is significantly different from what you can achieve you should factor in a luff curve re-cut.

/Martin

That's a good question - I will see what I can find out.  I know the mast is the one actually shown in the picture above and is all carbon.

I just learned that the sail in question was cut too short in the foot by UK, and the customer demanded a new sail.   (new one shown in picture above).   That is why this "new" one is available.

The good thing is that the owner is willing to let me fit the sail on the boat before committing to buy...

the luff curve looks pretty flat in that pic ?  a lower gooseneck is good - most GBE's racing in auckland have a main sail plan very similar to what you show - some with an even lower gooseneck.  It'll give you significantly better performance than your existing sail regardless!

So - to zero in on the boom even more, when I watch a boat like Charleston in the video below, it appears the boat has no outhaul at all.  Foot tension is achieved primarily by cranking in the mainsheet because of the angle of the boom going to the crossbeam rather than the mast.   Do I have that about right?

If so, I LIKE IT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHsjOFNjPrM

Watch your mainsheet system. Roachy sails like to have oodles of leach tension to standup the top of the sail properly, which can lead into a spiral of more mainsheet purchase, stronger boom, bigger traveller, stronger back beam to cope with it all.

Not saying its a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

Plus a head board slug or car that is not going to break or pull out of the sail track, reef points that are seriously strong enough, mainsheet winch that has got enough purchase etc etc...

Watch your mainsheet system. Roachy sails like to have oodles of leach tension to standup the top of the sail properly, which can lead into a spiral of more mainsheet purchase, stronger boom, bigger traveller, stronger back beam to cope with it all.

Not saying its a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

I agree, but it turns out he had some high tech tapered carbon battens in at the time.   They will be replaced with something more appropriate in an attempt to get that draft back to 40% or so. 

I'll have to make that judgement when I actually get to haul the sail up the mast.

I just received a better picture of the sail.   It was used for one race, and the owner demanded a new one since the foot was 6 inches out of spec (too short).

It is being shipped this week, and I should be able to haul it up the mast soon to get a rough idea on fitment.   I know the luff is too long.  It is entirely possible the first reef might be just right.   Or I might be lowering my gooseneck.  We shall see.  

#24 in the center.  It is mounted on a highly modified F31 that was significantly lighter than stock.   I think the main hull was bumped out 2 feet as well.

hcCCRyl.jpg

Gentlemen - I sincerely appreciate your comments.  I've incorporated most of them in my decision making, and your experience has been invaluable out here in multihull hinterland.

In between gales this morning, I was able to raise the new (used once) main, and am generally delighted with the fit. 

The luff is too long.  Based on what I am seeing, I think I will lengthen the boom and lower the gooseneck to the main crossbeam, rather than install a new tack and recut the foot.  You guys don't seem to have an issue with the reduced visibility or crew movement, so I should not either.   This plan has the added benefit of allowing the reef points to line up nicely on the boom.   The donor boat also had a lower gooseneck (but also had a bit more rake in the mast.)

Your thoughts are solicited.   Thanks,

Here is a shot with the boom in it's current position:
http://i.imgur.com/LVRA8Bm.jpg

Here is a shot of the proposed position.   This looks promising because the reefs will lay nicely on the boom,   I lose some visibility under way, and the boom will have to be lengthened (no big deal.)
http://i.imgur.com/I2EWLPp.jpg

That beatiful headboard seems to work nicely with the crane.  Perhaps I need a smaller shackle as well.
http://i.imgur.com/Ue6U21y.jpg

As mounted on the donor boat w/ tapered battens:

http://i.imgur.com/YfObeJH.jpg

I have a very low boom on Voom, with damn near zero visibility to leeward. It is scary on startlines, but just requires vigilance the rest of the time. Love reading your updates, so keep posting. Your sprit set up is much tidier than mine, very impressive (except the hook, unsure of that).

Thanks Clipper, you bet.

I just did some careful measurements and sent them in to the rating committee.   Looks like I'm only about 4 square feet smaller.  Aspect ratio is much higher though as you can see in the overlay below.

One of my goals was to move my CE forward to better balance the boat.  How do I calculate the new location of my CE for the main? 

n00KgTU.jpg

lTFVAzY.jpg