Anodes

By the way, the use of Zinc is not the only choice in Anode. It is not common here in NZ, but Aluminium Anodes can be used and are used overseas. Any metal on the nobility scale that is less noble than Bronze is able to be used. Except greater care needs to be taken in getting the best size anode. But once that has been initially done, then Aluminium has some major advantages. It is much lighter of course and the real biggy is that it lasts much longer. Although you need a greater surface area, thus a larger anode. Oh and it should be much cheaper. Zinc is stupid expensive. I have been thinking of making some Ally Anodes for my boat. We have tonnes of Ally scrap at the mo that is worth hardly anything as far as scrap prices go. I though about playing around with some flat Ally and working out what surface area I would need to do the job.

no space for a shaft zinc so it has a vetus zinc screwed on the end of the prop

I would have thought there was room in front of the prop erice. It must be close, what about shaving a bit off so it will slot on?

Actually Ex TL Yanmar do have a number of outboard options on the way to NZ in diesel, as well as lecky outboards from the same importer, watch this space

that sounds interesting although looks like I am about to buy a cat with 2 diesels with shaft drives so will have to put up with the anode situation for a while again, would still consider removing the props over winter though , unlikely to corrode wrapped in a cloth in a nice dry cupboard :thumbup:

I would have thought there was room in front of the prop erice. It must be close, what about shaving a bit off so it will slot on?

boat came with 4? new dutch vetus anodes so will use them first

but yes

it does look like a hacksaw could easily guarantee the fitting of a much cheaper nz made collar anode when those have been consumed

I was looking at the current scrap prices today. My eyes shot past Zinc and I thought, Ooo lets look. I was shocked to see that Zinc scrap was just a mere 6cents/Kg. So that baffled me. Why the heck are we paying so much for Zinc Anodes then?? I was thinking maybe I should buy up a heap of Zinc and go into the Anode business. ;-)