kestrel down

what a shame.  I used to love hanging out on that thing on a Friday night listening to the jazz band in the bar in my uni days.  I reckon the city would have embraced that again if they could have got her going.  Still love riding the old ferries in Victoria Harbour for the same reason - albiet with my brown paper bag!

I didn't know the name, but now you mention it, it rings a bell. Thanks.

Oh well, I guess they may have some parts to finish Turoa with now.
Surprising that even in a fairly sheltered position, there is obviously enough tide to tear the vessel to bits. I am shocked at what is coming adrift in those pictures.

Toroa as advised. She was berthed next to Birkenhead Wharf for years but sank there. Was the beginning of the end. She too had an enthusiastic preservation society and possibly still does but looks to be going backward every time I see it.

the toroa steam ferry at henderson

similar but different

TOROAPHO-b.jpg

Toroa was the last of the eight Albatross-type steam passenger ferries to be built for the Waitemata. She was built at George Niccol's yard at St. Mary's Bay, Auckland for the Devonport Steam Ferry Company Ltd. and was launched on Tuesday 28th April, 1925. Until her retirement in 1980 she served the North Shore, mainly on the Auckland to Devonport run with Makora, carrying 20,000 or more passengers a day between them at the peak of the passenger service before the opening of the Auckland Harbour Bridge in 1959.

http://toroa.org.nz/toroa/articles/ss-toroa-the-only-survivor/#.VuUEk5x97IU