Lagoon 42 at speed!

Seems a bit fishy. Maybe that lagoon had no interior, because seriously a 12 ton cruising cat isn't that fast. The listed sail area is similar to a Fusion 40 cruising cat which weighs 4.25 ton and would be more likely to do those speeds. 

Doesn't look like reality to me, possibly with no interior or supplies and an oversized rig but that's not the real world.

We sailed from the Galapogus to the Maquases 3000nm in 17 days, a Lagoon 56 departed a day after us and arrived 3 days behind us and we are a 52' 18t mono with just my daughter and I plus two pensioners onboard we also don't have any extras either, but we did do 1000nm in the first 5 days. They were part of the world ARC so we leapfrogged us all the way through the Americas and pacific, they were the gunboat with an Oyster 575 'Juno' which shared the honours so not fast at all imho

The Lagoon has to be very light to do that and is under some pressure. Have a look at the leeward shroud at the start of the video. I am surprised it isn't sinking the lee bow more, very nicely trimmed.

Our old Grainger 46 was pretty quick, (1st Darwin-Bali, 2nd Musket-Vila). However 15kn was about max for us in flatish water (not surfing)

That was in full cruising trim with the wife and kids on board.

However on a trades passage, as Jon discusses, with the wind more or less from behind, we were no faster than similar length monos.

Sure you could gybe big angles and sail fast but then you couldn't sleep. That gets old pretty quick with just two of us doing the sailing.

Very good footage though.

I would be very surprised if a L 42 would achieve 16knts in 23 kn winds speed unless there was a considerable push from a swell. That looks far too lively - the boat would need to be a lot lighter than a production Lagoon 42 to be doing that I would have thought.