11 hours ago, Hapuka said:

Actually beg to differ, although true some Farr's  race boats looked pretty "functional", I always thought Ceramco was a really pretty boat, The 1020 and 1220 are both good looking girls and you cant say a Farr 38 hasnt got sleek and racey lines?? (bit biased as I'm now a farr 38 owner). And what about the newer Farr 395?

Yes. I think they would be on my list of exceptions too, especially Ceramco; always thought she was good looking.  It was more the late IOR boats I was referring to. He had some really successful designs in that era and they won a lot of races, it just happened they were not pretty to my eye. Exador was a true champion but I don't think she wins a beauty contest.

But then looks were not the objective of the design. Getting the best from the IOR rule was.

But that is just my eye and we digress. :-)

3 hours ago, MuzzaB said:

Yes. I think they would be on my list of exceptions too, especially Ceramco; always thought she was good looking.  It was more the late IOR boats I was referring to. He had some really successful designs in that era and they won a lot of races, it just happened they were not pretty to my eye. Exador was a true champion but I don't think she wins a beauty contest.

But then looks were not the objective of the design. Getting the best from the IOR rule was.

But that is just my eye and we digress. :-)

I'm with you there, a lot of his IOR boats werent the best looking and had some funny angles and bumps going. IOR bred some ugly boats for sure but then some of the Frers and Holland versions with long raked transoms were stunners!