Tri talk

Howdy all,

With three hot tri's now on trademe, what info is there on their relevant performance.  They have all been modified chasing bigger numbers, all look really pretty sensational and are a credit to their owners but which is fastest and best bang for buck.

Dragon, TW & Frantic.

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 1.46.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 1.46.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-10 at 1.45.37 PM.png

From racetrack, speed wise

1 Frantic drift

2 Timber wolf

3 Dragon

Although I don't think that fully reflects dragons pace since the rebuild.

T wolf at 65 is a lot of boat for the money

TW at 65 is certainly a lot of bang for buck, worth more and no arguments but a plywood main hull???  Dragon rebuild... the photos are impressive and the video is awesome.

Displacements and sail area would be good to compare.  Maybe the owners could comment here although I would expect a natural bias.

Try and replicate anything like these boats new and the prices would be eye watering. If you have the means to race regulary and maintain any of these then the asking price is not an issue

I don't have a problem with the plywood main hull, Harddrive.  The boat moves, and the cost/benefit calculus of rebuilding is prohibitive.  Also, is there a faster plywood hard chined hull on earth? 

Ed, yes, cost of replicating would be shocking, but I think the big price factor is not cost of building, but that full foiling has arrived.  I'm not knocking these three - they're all great, and I'm seriously interested in this sort of boat, and will probably be a buyer at the right price.  But I won't be comparing purchase price to cost of building, because the next generation of racing multis will fly. 

Be good to hear from people who've sailed on them.  All deserve buyers.

just don,t worry about racing , take them sailing and have heaps of fun sailing circles around almost everyone else, still enough space for a few days away and cruising at 15 knots is so much more fun than plodding along at 6, plus the extra speed means you can extend your cruising grounds,Don,t think about it .  Just do it!