Cat 3

Hey I resemble that comment, except that I'm not swanning, but working hard, and had one foil borne sail on the AC 45 last week, which was epic!

I'm sure someone at YNZ can direct you to a keen inspector.

While you have the topic up, this is a Rule change year, so if there is discussion on possible safety rule changes you would like to see, feel free to suggest or debate them.

Getting rid of flares looks like the current hot topic, and is being well covered. 

So are there other items?

Depth sounders on cat 3 racing multi's - can understand the logic with them being a navigational aid, but in practice are never used so just a box tick exercise

Inflated dingy on the deck of a large unsinkable raft structure creating a trip hazard seems slightly nonsensical, although I can appreciate this only applies to overgrown beach cats

Take a risk based approach to fire extinguishers based on what fire risk there actually is

I wouldn't oppose a move to mandate people to carry personal PLB's, especially after dark

I'd like to see a commentary written on the reason for each rule, particularly for each rule change. We have this in structural engineering codes (for example) and it provides a; a useful understanding of the reasons for otherwise seemingly 'nonsensical' rules, b; enables the 'affected public' to provide critical feedback rather than just relying purely on the observations of inspectors, and c; ensures that legacy rules can be 'pulled' if no longer relevant.

In fact if you're serious about wanting issues raised by the public then the revised text should be published 'draft for comment' to enable submissions to form part of the final text revision

• Upvote 2

In fact if you're serious about wanting issues raised by the public then the revised text should be published 'draft for comment' to enable submissions to form part of the final text revision

I suggested this a few years ago and was told no way  it was going to happen.

A stove should not be required and if a stove is not in we wouldn't need 4kg of fire extinguishers just 2kg will be fine per engine and per stove. Two  hacksaw blades will be more than enough. I wouldn't use a life raft. No more almanacs please. No pyro flares. :wave:

Need an inner forestay. One LED flare per person. And a few rolls of duct tape saved us a few times.  

:thumbup:

16.08 - stove is only recommended for cat 3, not required

If a boat has textile rigging, reconsider the need for a hacksaw entirely, but there should be a considered method for separating the rig from the boat.

The duct tape is a good idea, would just need careful drafting for the rules  

the rules are minimums. You should carry tape if you feel it could be useful. I have a roll onboard. I have used hacksaws during races, but with all textile rigging bar the forestay, not sure I would to cut away rig. A craft knife and 10 spare blades much better!

As ed says, cooker not required. I think if you want no dinghy ( which I agree with) you better be damn sure you can put out a fire....

Coastal type multihull is unlikely to catch fire when sailing. I cant think of any that have caught fire. One of the hulls on Play Station  (offshore cat) caught fire about 15 years ago. If one hull catches fire we should be able to hang on to the other one until help arrives. We have four buckets on board we should be able to contain a fire with that. Can never have too many buckets.

I am glad no cooker is required. More items should be recommended to make it easier and so that more boats get certified.

I like the idea that clubs can specify specific requirements such as a tracker.