For a multihull first timer cat or tri?

Atom Ant

Cat or Tri  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Cat or Tri

• Cat
    • Tri

I sailed a Cougar Cat when I was a teenager and apart from an hour on Nicky Cruz many years ago, I have absolutely no experience on a multihull. Just leaners all my adult life. So what would be your advice on which way to go? Cat or Tri and why? Mrs Ant is not a yachtie so she doesn't mind what I get as long as I'm happy. She will come sailing on the odd nice day, may even spend a weekend on a yacht if the weather is nice but that is a secondary thing and if she never had to sleep on a boat again she wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I might want to do the odd weekend away but frankly I enjoy my sleep too much to compromise one iota on comfort. An interior would only need to be functional and tidy to make me happy. I.e bed, galley, head, stereo.

Believe me, if you don't want to sell your mono, DON'T try a multi!

I've sailed monos for 30 yrs, and always thought multis didn't point (must have been blind) so dismissed them as unimportant. Until I tried one!!!

For an older person, they are a lot easier to sail (well the tri is) and can do a lot more with mine than I could with monos of the same speed.

1. put on a trailer.

2. put the bow on the sand of a beach with an off shore breeze -- with the main still up.

3. Sunbathe comfortably (fall asleep on tramp, very serious sunburn on stomach)

4. make a coffee and put on deck/table/seat without it spilling.

Based on your list of requirements I'd say you are in the market for a Farrier tri.

They are very practical, still fast , they race well.

I haven't seen Raccoon for a while (F8.2) ?

cough cough ..... are you refering to this thing....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 029534.htm

Leeward hull 12m, Windward hull 8.78m . Hardly a 40ft multihull.

this is a 40 ft multihull and there is quite an obvious difference....

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 634930.htm

and lets be honest, if dolphins are just gay sharks then proas are just confused trimarans.

.....either a cat or a tri is going to be easier for a 1st time multihull owner to get the hang of than a shunter !

Shunting is easier and safer , but let's not go there. You are right, the fact that the LW hull is long doesn't make it comparable to a similar length cat. A better assumption would be to use the WW hull length, even that is just a rough guide.

So it would be almost reasonable to compare that Harry with a 9m bridgedeck cat.

There are a couple of trailer tris on trademe at the moment around 55-58k, & my boat Cubic (farrier F82R) is on a trailer at home in one tree hill if you want to take a good look & see what they are like inside etc (pm me) & it will probably be up for sale within a year as I am building a larger F32RX.

The reason Tris are easier to sail are they have a flatter stability curve which means its more forgiving. i.e your at a higher point of heal when you reach max stability.

The other reason is they sail and tack like a keel boat when in light breeze, some cats feel pretty awful in the light breeze.

Thanks guys and keep 'em coming. I can see that there is a clear majority (admittedly based on small numbers at present) who think that I'd be better of on a tri due to it being stiffer and more forgiving. Atom Ant is a stiff boat and forgiving of gusts and strong winds, so I am used to that sort of thing.

If JT's tri doesn't have enough interior space then you can rule out any small cat.

The Turissimo 9 or modified like Crowded House has easily the best interior space in relatively small cats. Crowded House is a fantastic Party boat. Allegro is for sale approx $70k. It could be modified like Crowded House and Mystify.

That will probably not be the ideal race boat though.

If you have a bit more to spend I'd start looking at a Farrier 8.2 and the Farrier 31 or 32. There are always some for sale States Side (often marketed as Corsairs). the good thing about Farriers is they do hold their resale value very well.

Archived