Too old to sail?

who the heck can say someone is too old?providing his comes to cat 1 he can do what he likes,dies while at the antarctic,well died doing something he enjoyed.Who is actually saying no to him?Technical inspector a DOCTOR?

Poor guy is probably too old to want to be bothered fighting it. But if he had the energy and the want, he should threaten court and few other things.
You can not discriminate against age.
He has proven experience and ability, so the inspector can't toss him out on that. So YNZ needs to be challenged to have inspector put up or shut up. And if he dares to put up, then he can be in the gun for discrimination.

Harrytom, I see you have commented to the owner, perhaps invite him to take a look at this page here on crew and i reckon we can drum up a lot of support on here for him. It's about time YNZ was taken to task. This is pathetic and makes me quite angry.

What about registering the yacht under a foreign flag and telling YNZ to go suck it.

It appears from the Trade Me ad that once again big brother in the form of YNZ (inspectors this time) step in and interfere with an individuals life.Yes and the safety and health bullshit placing liability on the inspector probably features too. Interpretation of rules like this should be enforced on people who don't know what they are doing...for instance loss of catamaran Katipo at Whitianga a couple of months ago where a voyage to Nelson required no inspection or officialdom involvement but if racing needed Cat.2.Pure bullshit rules..We have allowed too much invasion of our lives by the bully boys who want to,and are,controlling what the populace does.Like others have said,just go.What are they going to do to an aged sailor anyway? Put him in gaol ?....

If you go, then you won't have clearance papers for your next port. Depending on where, who and when you try to clear in there, the results may vary widely - from nothing, to fines/bribes, to jail, or forfeiture of the boat and deportation. IMO it's quite a risk.

Ynz have for a long time been required to satisfy themselves that the crew is competent for the planned voyage. Unfortunately some of their inspectors have little or no actual experience offshore. Especially outside Auckland.

Most of us are members of Ynz, how do we make our feelings known?

and it continues

Hi macthelad.Thanks for your so true words ,only this morning the Dunedin voluntary inspector of yachts has refused to send me my copy of cat 1 safety gear, as designated on the form. Regards Ron Daw 

I'm pretty dismayed by this bureaucratic invasion of an individual's rights.

I got to be 70 a while ago now and I'd be a bit peeved if some ego inflated upstart though he had the right to tell me what I could or couldn't do with my own boat!

I recently raised the age question with my boss, seeing as how I get to spend a bit of time in the back of a truck doing sometimes unpleasant things to sick people. The official policy is that as long as I keep my ATP (authority to practice) current by keeping up to date with my clinical education, and I don't kill the customers, then they don't care how old I am.

I would say that the subject of this thread keeps his ATP current by his frequent excursions into the southern ocean, and since his actions don't impinge on anyone elses wellbeing,just who the hell would have the temerity to tell him he can't do it anymore??

I know a little of the background to this

Chris he's closing on 20 years older than you

His intended voyage was direct to the Falklands via the Horn solo

A large part of Cat 1 is the assessment of the crew

He asked for YNZ to inspect and they found him wanting

There are ways he could get around all this but imho I support this decision

There has to be a limit or scrap all rules !

Duckingforcover

• Upvote 1

If this guy is as old as you say Jon, I am totally in awe ! However. On the surface I would have to agree with the authorities. (Trust me that's a first for me) If it all turns to custard for him, someone is expected to save him. I don't care about the cost as that is part of being in a society, however somebody's life may be put at risk to save him. gotta admire his courage though.

Good to see everyone is getting so fired up about one line in a trademe add.

I wouldn't have thought that is even half the story. Admittedly in sounds like an interesting story, but not enough of the story for us to decide we need to start a riot.

Guess it is the internet.

Tomorrow we might get some nice pictures of cats.

I am of firm belief that if you want to go offshore it should be up to you.But sign a affidavit?stating if unheard of in 8 weeks no search to be conducted as I have taken all steps to protect myself(in the event of a solo sailor)Did Captain cook get a survey or even have charts?What about Christopher Columbus set out to find the new world and prove the earth is not flat?the list goes on.

If our authorities are so concerned with kiwis heading offshore why do they not step in the cases of overseas vessels which are not equipped properly?yet we still send s n r out to these guys.

I know of a crew in a reactor back in 1979/80 era who did the tonga race and sailed past for  3 days.Their Skills obviously not questioned. This appears to me to be a case of discrimination against the elderly by a self represented body who has achieved or done nothing that involves risk. To satisfy the inspector would a medical certificate be enough?

Who's to say yes your vessel is cat1 and you seem fit for the journey,little do they know that i am riddled with cancer and this is to be my swan song.

This appears to me to be a case of discrimination against the elderly by a self represented body who has achieved or done nothing that involves risk. To satisfy the inspector would a medical certificate be enough?

Until you get some facts as to what the actual story is, all this is just noise.

• Upvote 3