This as a F***ing joke right?

He thinks this is realistic, but he's dreaming.

I'm also surprised that he says the harbourmaster has given permission for a new mooring and to live aboard. No boat maintenance has been budgeted. Where's the 10% a year for that as well...

on one hand its funny, but on the other its very sad.  Shows the desperation of some out there.  It's also sad becasue someone is trying to get him to buy a 78' boat for 300k - doesn't stack up to me.

Where's the 10% a year for that as well...

:wtf:

He'll need a lot more than 10% IT. 78 ft probably rules Westpark out for hauling. Plus, that place quoted me $3K to antifoul my 45ft'er.

I have to give the guy 10 points for trying, but he has to be nuts...on so many levels....and if someone gave him the money, they must be certifiable. Should such a person exist, please send me their contact details. I also have some really cool ideas ;-) Currently, my future is looking like pitching a tent in the middle of a round grassy area close by. Only problem is, it seems to be a high traffic area. 

Yep, me too. Also, he says these boats are worth $1 mill here, so even at that second hand price it's 100k per year! Houses generally appreciate. Boats don't, and can really depreciate if not properly maintained.

Hmm  no offence to you Hartley owners out there but a GRP (gravel rocks and pebbles) boat at Westpark would be a much better bet and he would have change to maintain it and no borrowings!

What do you mean - Boats are a fantastic investment arent they?

They can be. You just have to find some idiot that has no clue that can get a Philanthropist to fund him into ownership. Apparently there are some of those type around.

I'm guessing he won't be antifouling anything. He doesn't want to sail, just a place to live

Isn't that true of many people living on boats? I see heaps of old shitter boats with people living on them in all the marinas here in wellington. I don't see it any differently than people living in old caravans that haven't moved in years  at camping grounds. It's a cheap home and renting a mooring is much cheaper than renting a house. Plus some marinas are located close to CBD.

This guy may or may not be an idiot, but to the non-boat literate public he's probably just helped the old shitter market along - there's suddenly going to be an upsurge in people buying up those old Hartleys on TM as 'investments' in the rental market  :razz:

Gotta be honest, due to studying, having kids early etc, I missed the boat :roll:  and am stuck renting - it's horrendous - I don't actually see myself ever owning property in NZ unless I buy a scrap of land in Whowhukincares somewhere south of Gore.  Certainly not in Akl (unless I win Lotto, but given I've never bought a ticket in my life...)

If I lost my job but wanted to stay in Akl, I'd probably be buying a floating jetty and mooring it somewhere - far better than going on a benefit and taking my kids to Sth Akl.

This, sadly, is the reality of the housing market in NZ.  The cost of buying and maintaining a shitter is a mere fraction of the deposit needed to buy in Akl or most major centers in NZ.

Maybe I should take out a half page advert in the Herald suggesting a much cheaper counter bid  :twisted:

In Whowhukincares you'll probably find community and a nice style of life. In Alk community means an old folks home and the style of life is more poke you in the eye with a blunt stick while raping your wallet.... while smiling and telling you how lucky you have it.

I totally agree.  My retirement plan is to bugger off on a boat and not come back though.  

If I am still in NZ then it'll be some quiet place in Northland (where it's vaguely warm)

NZ is a pretty good place to retire on a boat, but locations you can stay more than a few days are becoming harder to find. However, it's English speaking, with a mostly reliable police force, and very little armed violence, especially away from the cities. It does not snow much of the year in coastal regions, and you are not yet bothered by officials boarding you and requesting paperwork etc.

Much of the world is not like this, and becoming more and more restricted.

Eventually, most people end up back on land somewhere though.