Length of teak wanted (1200mm)

Got a mate who is a keen diver/spear fisherman. He wants to build a spear gun and is after a length of teak 1200mm long. No smaller than 40 x 40 profile. He figured boaties might have an idea where to source, or have some lying around.

Any ideas?

Rosenfeld Kidson in Auckland supplies Teak and other exotic and speciality timbers...   I'm not connected with them in anyway.  

Otherwise, you might get lucky with someone offering an off-cut.  ;-) 

http://bbstimbers.co.nz/ 

I've bought a few odd bits off them.  I recall that when I was doing a new toe kick they supplied a slab but I had to take it somewhere else to get it cut down, or was it the mast-step?  Something about "yup, here's an odd piece for much, much less than anyone else because you produced folding stuff now bugger off"

Actually, I think I still have a 1200 long in the shed but it may only be 30mm thick..  I'll measure it when I get home.

It may easier to source a couple of bits of 20 x 40 and lam them together grains opposed. It will be a more stable base for him to shape off and less likely to take off sideways when wet/dry/wet. It could also be quite aesthetically pleasing. Timspec had some 20 x 62 A grade shorts that might do you. Leftovers from a superyacht deck. Try them as well.

Rosenfelds have a shorts box that is pretty handy and not too badly priced but I'm not sure you will get 40mm thick out of there.

Stability when wet is the biggest issue for rifle stocks, particularly in NZ's wet bush hunting conditions hence the trend towards floating barrels and synthetic stocks. They dont warp, I'd be laming it up out of smaller sections.

Ok, believe it or not, I couldn't find my measuring tape.  If you ever see my shed, you'll understand.

The bad news is it measures as 1065/155/20 so may be too short for what you want.