SSANZ Safety at Sea Triple Series

Very perceptive - On the run after Haystack we should have put the kite up instead of the gennaker,  alas, too lazy to change it, and we wer having fun when the puffs rolled through.

I'm guessing we gave John Barleycorn a fright, screaming out of left (right) field into the Shearer Rock mark on SB after the gybe! They paid us back by promptly rolling us on the start of the beat, though we returned the favor later, twice forcing them to tack away, and I can't imagine we are in their good graces at the moment.

Then lost gains made on beat when we tried the genny again after Emu Pt, which went poorly and ended up being a bad call and had to recover.

Minus a couple of bad gennaker-related decisions we might have had a chance at MV, darn quick 7.9 that :)

Looking at the PW tracker, Revolution Blues lost ground to Moving Violation, by sailing too high to Shearer Rock.  

RB closed the gap by going into Waakalabubu bay, but MV took off in the lighter conditions after Emu point.

The forecast was spot on. Both in terms of temperature and just after 8pm there was 'a lot' of breeze in the Firth. After an 'exciting' attempt to run away with said breeze at high speed we eventually rounded up and shook like a shaggy dog until we could get headsail off. I was concerned for the rig and I suspect my #3 won't be quite the same again. The sea state was 'particularly difficult'. Struggled to complete that leg under reefed main alone with the boom in the water for quite a bit of the time. We knew heavy breeze was on the cards but weren't prepared for a fast drop and second reef. Lesson learnt.

The rest of the race was relatively uneventful; we did use every sail and my arms seem to be a little longer today...and I have a cold. 

Glad to complete and many thanks to SSANZ for the challenge!

We started on time but noticed the second batten missing when we hoisted the main. Must have shook out in the first race as we haven't looked at boat since then. Broke a parrot beak on the kite pole not long after hoisting at Rangi light, in the middle of a decent squall/knock, So two sailed most of the way to Haystack before growing a pair and putting up the code zero/screecher as we'd never hoisted it before- by which time it had lightened off and most everyone had gone kite. Dropped that and went Gennaker which we carried to Shearers. Not a bad rounding and kept company with our fleet and a couple of 88's and a pod of dolphins to Gannet. Couldn't make any time on Crocodile whenever it lightened off they'd slip away and when it blew we'd pull them in. Moving Violation must have violated something in the downwind sails area but they has no such issues going back up!

Some of the squalls around Rakino and Motutapu had the fillings shaking out of our teeth the way the main was shaking about and we eventually had another batten rip its way out of its pocket. Blaardy 30 year old mainsails - grrrrrrr

A pretty cold miserable fetch from Motuhie to the welcome flashing light on Maara and it was a relief to bear away and head back to Whangaparaoa. Unfortunately it was right up the chuff so no reaching for a Gennaker just eased the main right out, let the self tacker slat itself to death and go surfing on the ever increasing sized southerly waves in the dark. It was pretty hairy picking our way through the shipping channel lights at speed in those conditions I can tell ya... See attached pic for confirmation of the kind of hairy ride we experienced!

Cheers Jon and the SSANZ team for an excuse to go out and break stuff in the sleet ha ha

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 1

The forecast was spot on. Both in terms of temperature and just after 8pm there was 'a lot' of breeze in the Firth. After an 'exciting' attempt to run away with said breeze at high speed we eventually rounded up and shook like a shaggy dog until we could get headsail off...

We had a similar experience on that leg. I know that my wind gear can be a but random but there were several times where it was reading 40+ and it felt like it. I made the call to turn and run a couple of times which was easier said than done but it was a safer option... some of the big surfs were pretty wild. It turns out that we get a fairly loud hum from the foils once  the boat goes over 15kts.... I think that it proof that 8tons of cruising boat isn't supposed to go that fast!