Headsail furlers

I'm thinking of changing to a furling jib. I've had a look at whats available and there seem a few options. I'd be interested to hear from owners of smaller multihulls who have used a jib furler, what brands tried, experiences good bad etc. things to watch out for. My tri is 25' long jib size is around 11 sq meters. If you recommend a particular model I'd be interested to know why.

Also, if anyone has a used unit lying around surplus to requirements that is suitable I'd be interested in buying it.

Mx.jpg

It's a small boat with a small jib. I'd suggest running a light retrieve line up the jib to positively pull it down and retain on deck, before going to the expense and complexity of a fuller. Also, fully battened jibs don't flog when things are going pear shaped...

Great idea Tim. A small retrieval line on the luff of the jib  is much safer.

Furling our screecher has gone pear shaped more often than not. But then we tend to furl it up way too late and try and furl it in too much breeze.

You would go really well with a small prod and  a light weight overlapping code 0. In five knots of breeze you would probably do 10 knots.

maybe look at the small (inshore?) furler from KZ Furlers.

No personal experience, but NZ made and seems to be Farriers furler of choice for the jib on the F22

Great idea Tim. A small retrieval line on the luff of the jib  is much safer.

Furling our screecher has gone pear shaped more often than not. But then we tend to furl it up way too late and try and furl it in too much breeze.

You would go really well with a small prod and  a light weight overlapping code 0. In five knots of breeze you would probably do 10 knots.

Being ready to furl and then dumping the screecher sheet completely sometime works for a better furl, rather than easing the sheet. But bearing away works best, which is often not possible.

Not sure if you are referring to my boat regards screecher or not? Yes I have one and use one, just I neatly tidy away the pole when not in use in the cat walk. And yes it is on one of my furlers.

I find we can take it to 6 knots of boat speed upwind in the very light. After that the tacking angle is so wide it's not worth having up. The trick is not to get greedy, and get rid of it early. But that is always a trick decision. 

Pulse Screacher 220314.jpg

Hey Greg, are both of those boats the 7.6? 

They are great looking boats!

And why didn't these pics make it into the "old multi pics" thread? I know they're not old, but certainly good shots!

Thanks Bryan, and  madyottie, we like 'em. The pics are quite recent. They are both 7.6's although there are some differences between the two. The white one has  only recently been relaunched by Graeme D after around 10 years sitting in a paddock. I think it was built in the '90s?? Graeme?

The reason I want a furler on the jib is purely for convenience sake. Yep, its an expense but I expect to have the boat long enough to get my moneys worth.

Greg - I bought one of these a couple of months ago, but have yet to use it on my boat.  Hoeever,  I did try out an identical unit on my buddy's F28R code zero and it was smooth as silk.   it is a big upgrade from his Harken unit.

TJHBwhu.jpg