Marshall Law Ross 40, 2 handed build up.

Carrying on with the upgrade thread, The Marshall is now out of the water at Gulf Harbour with Brin Wilson fitting a new keel bulb and 2 metre Prod. At the same time, some of the electronics will be upgraded with a new Raymarine Evolution autopilot, and Port and Starboard controls replacing the "Finger-amputating-behind the wheel-how fast are your reaction times" current controls. Thanks to Bruce from Brin Wilson and Edwin from Halls, and Phil Ash for making sure the mast didn't rip the deck off when it popped out!

211.JPG

217.JPG

220.JPG

Saw Maara strobe waaaaay before Bean Rock light. For a long while we debated wether or not Bean Rock actually had a functioning light anymore, such was the light pollution from behind. We knew there was a marker post to the North of the lighthouse but didn't realise it was unlit. Not being used to sailing in that area I was surprised to see boats leaving Bean Rock to starboard? Didn't think you could, better have a look at the charts ha ha

The keel and bulb looks OK in those photos, how and why are you changing it?

More lead and like Phil says, slipperier.. Longer with smaller cross section. We suffer from significantly less righting moment than all the other Ross 40s..

Saw Maara strobe waaaaay before Bean Rock light. For a long while we debated wether or not Bean Rock actually had a functioning light anymore, such was the light pollution from behind. We knew there was a marker post to the North of the lighthouse but didn't realise it was unlit. Not being used to sailing in that area I was surprised to see boats leaving Bean Rock to starboard? Didn't think you could, better have a look at the charts ha ha

Fairway Marks

The following will be deemed to be obstructions and shall be passed on the main channel side.

( a ) Beacon on Sewer Outlet (Orakei) 

( b ) Bean Rock light and Doris Rock Beacon (approx. 25 metres north of  

Bean Rock)

( c ) Green Beacon on Sandspit (SW of Torpedo Wharf by No.19 Buoy)

( d ) Small Craft mooring Areas as defined on chart 5322 including all 

moored vessels and mooring buoys adjacent to these areas

( e ) Rangitoto Lighthouse

( f ) Emu Rock Iliomana Rock Beacon

( g ) Red Buoys eastern side of Motuihe Channel

( h ) Yachts shall pass to the north of Browns Island Beacon

The electronic compass location is not as critical now with a solid state unit as it was with a fluxgate. They are much more immune to motion now, but it still seems to make sense to put them as close to the roll and pitch centre as possible....

Everyone happy with the AP sensor back where you put it?

Just trying to work out where the best place for mine is, a bit hard when I have to fit all you have but into a considerably smaller space.

I had the last compass about there but on the centreline. Trouble is, they are such big cumbersome beasts, it is hard to find a protected place to mount them. If I have trouble with it, I will remount it with a custom bracket.. BTW, that Carbinge is awesome stuff... :thumbup:  :thumbup: