12v Electric Blanket

Hi I have an old friend living on his yacht, no shore power, who has been inquiring as to whether 12 volt electric blankets are available in NZ ?

He wants to be able to plug into a cigarette light plug, as he does not want to go down the inverter road. 

Question; how much power do they use ??

I echo what Erice said. Bad idea.  

Use a hot water bottle with good insulation, will last all night. A good hot water bottle, in a good cover, is pretty efficient and uses no electricity - but a bit of gas to heat the water...

Concur with what the others have said. 12v heating elements just dont work.

I bought a 12v kettle on a whim and it was a complete waste of money, without the engine running it took 3 days to boil and nearly flattened my batteries.

My Dad is travelling the world in a campervan - currently in Europe in his Aussie Campervan. Their only form of heating, other than the van engine when travelling, is a 12v Elevtric Blanket for the bed and they swear by it. 

on a normal elec blanket there are different warmth settings but is there a thermostat?

the 4.2amps quoted on the american truck site would suck half a new 80amp car battery over a long, 10hr winter night.........which would soon kill it 

but if that is only max current draw on a multi-setting thermostat? controlled blanket powered by a large set of house batteries it should be ok....

here's another one in the states, doesn't seem to be any mention of variable settings or thermostats 

• 100% Polar Fleece Material
  • Plugs Directly Into Your Cigarette Lighter Socket
  • 8 ft. Power Cord with LED Indicator on the Plug
  • Blanket Folds Easily for Storage in the Included Zippered Bag (included)
  • 4.6 Amp Low Amp Draw (55 Watts)

https://www.amazon.com/Roadpro-12-Volt-Fleece-Heated-Blanket/dp/B0009Y2CFS