Could you should you lengthen a composite spar?

My 830 is a little underpacking in the wedding tackle department. I put it down to being built as a centerboarder back in the day and therefore being a bit light on righting moment.

It's some 500mm shorter than standard.

With the new foils and bulb she is woefully underpowered in anything less than 15 knots true and we spend a lot of time down to leeward.

An overlapping headsail will go some way towards helping but realistically we need a square top and masthead downwind gear, which the current slender topped noodle would not handle.

I have stumbled across an immaculate carbon rig which although no longer than my current one, is substantially stronger up top and of course lighter than it as well.

Should I fit it as is and be able to run masthead gear and a square top, still being embarrassed at raft ups and urinals....or can I add 700mm to the bottom and have the hoist the boat was modified to carry?

Would you add to the top or bottom?

If the bottom was extended the join would be in the area of the gooseneck, would this be a problem or an ideal place to add more reinforcing?

It's cheap by the way, and has a real nice mast step arrangement.

Outer dimensions at the base are 120mm x 78mm. Deck stepped.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If anyone can do it, it'll be the C-Tech team! They stuck High-n-Fibres carbon rig back together for me and are the gurus at Carbon masts for boats up to your size. 

yeah they can be sleeved fine. My advise would be to talk with Bart - or else get hold of Grunta McKinnon - he just did it with what looks like the same mast section for the Smoke Wagon mast - and as everyone know Grunta is the Carbon guru...

Get in touch with me Nige if you havent got his details. or http://windwarrioryachts.co.nz/

• Upvote 1

500mm on the bottom would be no worries.

Do you run gooseneck checks?

I'd give the rig a clean, they can attract all manner of critters when sitting around and the top photo would suggest it has ;)

There's a big ugly critter on the right hand side of that pic