has anyone got any good ideas two make liveing on a boat comfortable .

Guest shane

Shane, can you please write your content in the post itself, and start them all with a succinct topic title?

In general there are many ways to make a boat more comfortable.  I assume there are two of you?

• Firstly, ditch all the crap that you don't need. This usually holds moisture. aspire to own as little as possible and then you'll be less pissed off when any of it gets buggered by being on your boat 'cause you'll have less that can get buggered
  • Sail north during the winter months to make things warmer
  • Ensure a good airflow through the boat at all times
  • Be sure that every person living on board has their own space
  • A toilet and a shower will change your life
  • Make sure your windows and fittings don't leak
  • Don't use a gas cooker inside; Burning gas makes water
  • Install a kickarse solar electricity and storage system and buy a dehumidifier
  • Buy a bigger boat - It's been said that a man need a boat that is his age plus 5' long (or somethign like that)
  • Save money on your internet connection and use that money to pay for useful things on your boat

Hi Shane. Firstly, how about slowing down with the questions in multiple threads. Then we can all focus on an answer and some answers will cover many of your questions.
As you are learning, living on a little boat comes with a whole bunch of problems. Living on a little boat in Winter, not being in a Marina, not having much money, only makes more problems.
The two most essential thongs, which are both related...Dry Boat! and Warm Boat!! There is no "easy" way to heat a boat and remain safe. There are three means of heating that are safe and produce dry air. Two are expensive to buy and run, being a Diesel and LPG heater, that indirectly heats the Air and all the exhaust is kept external of the Boat. The third is a wood burner, but you need to decent cabin size to do this safely. The best form of heating is electric, of which you are going to need to be connected to Shore Power, thus you need to be in a Marina. 
Dry air from good heating keeps the Boat warm and dry and no black mould.
The only option I can think of, is that you sail to Wellington and get into Seaview Marina, or sail on further to Nelson and their Marina and you also have even cheaper options at Motueka on the other side of Tasman bay. Of course you will need to ask all those places of their Prices and if there is room before you go there.

What freaks me out about fossil fuel heating on a boat is the stories you hear of sailors, sometimes whole families, that died inside their boat due to carbon monoxide poisoning.  I know you can get alarms, and you are sill supposed to have a hatch or boat porthole / window or two open at all times when heating the boat - but still....

It may seem too easy to be true but having your cabin painted a darker colour ie not white makes a big difference in winter, I know of 1 guy that would paint his cabin green in winter and white in summer, and it made a big difference in the same way that darker colour cars will heat up and dry out causing less rust.   A darker boat will definitely be warmer in winter at least during the day.

What freaks me out about fossil fuel heating on a boat is the stories you hear of sailors, sometimes whole families, that died inside their boat due to carbon monoxide poisoning.  I know you can get alarms, and you are sill supposed to have a hatch or boat porthole / window or two open at all times when heating the boat - but still....

Diesel stove with vented exhaust for me. Also vented dehumidifier to those dark and damp spaces....

What freaks me out about fossil fuel heating on a boat is the stories you hear of sailors, sometimes whole families, that died inside their boat due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

That is only for LPG/CNG heating if the heater is exhausted straight into the Boat cabin. It is illegal to do that for those very obvious reasons. All the other forms of heating (apart from electric) exhaust outside. Otherwise the smoke would choke you to death before the oxygen was used up.

By the way, LPG does not produce Co, only Co2 and water. The issue is that the Co2 puts you to sleep, or even deeper sleep if you are already and then you run out of oxygen. Co has the one advantage of making you very sick before you lose consciousness, but even if you get sick from it and then get out to clean air, it can still kill you. You need to get to a Hospital if you are Co poisoned.

Guest Crew.orgy

Dr Watson has it sussed. But take it from me ( currently cruising the warm climate of the Med) size matters!

Space, headroom and good design are paramount!

You don't have to be in a super yacht. But 40 foot would be a minimum.

Only place to be comfortable living on board during winter is in a marina with an electric heater. You save money on a mooring or at anchor but it is miserable in wet and cold. At best you need a warm pub or accommodating friends nearby but the money spent at the pub or sweetening the friends you may as well be in a marina!! 

It's incredible to me that people who claim to be professionals running a for-profit business are incapable of taking decent photos of their merchandise.

457572791.jpg