I recently fitted brakes to my 25ft trailer yacht. I had been towing it around for 15 years with no problems and the cost and the maintenance troubles with brakes had put me off. It is 140km to where I usually sail on Manapouri and Te Anau and the trip has recently got more dangerous with the increase it the foreign self drive tourists. After a recent experience where I nearly tee boned a tourist that had not given way I bit the bullet. It cost me 3 grand but because of my old ball rims I had to replace both axials and 5 rims.

We have windy gusty conditions on the lakes which I understand is similar to the sounds. The young trailer yachts all have a large sail area for their size which makes them less suitable for inexperienced sailers in our conditions. There is a reason why Noelex trailer yachts with their easily driven hulls and smaller sail areas are popular in the south Island.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Damien? I grew up sailing on trailer yachts in the sounds, a Noelex 25 to be precise. I still race a trailer yacht here now, more on the sport end though (which I towed with a WRX for a while). I'

Also, the compound at Waikawa costs $103/month. Might be worth doing even just for a few months of summer. Does make using the boat much easier, and therefore you will much more often. I would also be

http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/penguin/

If your handy and keen on bit of work the Dahl 780 on trade me (bounty hunter) in rotavagas is a very stable good sailing boat with good amount of room my mates dad use to tow it with a 3ltr commy or a 2ltr blue bird as 13 year olds me and my mates were let loose for a summer in it very forgiving boat tested its limits and never once was worried about it not sure about weight but there's lead to take out of the floor!!!!

The young trailer yachts all have a large sail area for their size which makes them less suitable for inexperienced sailers in our conditions. There is a reason why Noelex trailer yachts with their easily driven hulls and smaller sail areas are popular in the south Island.

To answer your earlier question Damien, as a Young 780 owner, I would actually agree 100% with Theseus.

At the time i bought my 780, I couldn't stretch to a Noelex 25.

Now i could and choose not to.

I have however been sailing for many years and took care to ensure the reefing systems on my boat are well rigged and functional. As Theseus says, Youngs do have large sail areas so you need to be prepared to reef early and reef often.

If you can stretch your finances a Noelex 25 would be ideal for your needs. They also seem to be holding their value better than any other TS or Keeler i am aware of. 

If the sailing thing doesn't work out then you have a boat that is re-sellable whereas many boats including my own seem to be worth almost nothing on the market.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Day skipper course is a good start. Won't teach you anything about sailing, but the basic "rules of the road" and pilotage. Iirc it's a pre requisite for the more advanced courses anyway ( could be wrong here, it's a *^%# long time since I did mine!)

Good luck

its not a pre-req for anything else.  For pretty basic knowledge it s a good course, relatively quick and easy,  Next one up is boatmaster, if you are thinking about doing the boatmaster then just do that, don't worry about Day skipper.  Day skipper is enough to keep you out of trouble in reasonably confined and not too busy waters.

a lot of insurance companies will give a discount if you have boat master, not sure about day skipper.