Spencer 40

Fast, possibly / probably wet? fast enough to get in before the "weather" arrives, ;)  ;) well presented, very realistic price, look carefully, survey, if it ticks all the boxes, enjoy.

Big windows, yes, its been around a while though and if it has been sailed in Wellington / Cook strait area for most of its life? probably no issue.

John Spencer a NZ yacht design Icon!!

Peridot was sailed out of Mana for years, by Charles Clark, recently, if not still commodore of gulf harbour yacht club. 15 years ago she was in great order. These boats sail really well, especially on a reach, but they are old and ply - fine if properly maintained, can be a disaster if not.

Charles currently works part time as a yacht broker, if you contact him on Charles Clark Mob:021 248 4591 Email:charlesc@gulfgroup.co.nz, I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you about Peridot.

Thanks for the advice, that was basically what I was wanting to know.

I was planning on heading down to the marina tomorrow to see if I could find her to take a look and then might get in contact with Charles about her (thank you for that island time).

I'm biased, I love my Spencer. One thing that has been very pleasing is that we have found two soft spots, but repairing plywood with epoxy is easy peasy. Nowhere as freaked about it as I was. I've also seen a couple of major repairs on other ply boats and been astounded at what is possible.

bp composite.jpg

I bought an old plywood Spencer and replaced large amounts of ply - those who saw the state of it at the beginning were suitably impressed with the results.

There's a certain, rather famous 45 that raced to fiji a few times...

I'm Charles son and we owned peridot for 18 years. Wonderful boat. Very slippery downwind. Comfortably quick upwind. She was well looked after and really a hell of alot of boat for the money. Not an off shore boat but we did cook strait in her I n all conditions multiple times. You need to keep on top of the maintenance as always with an elderly wooden boat. But the Spencer 40,s offer great value yachting

Of course, the Ply/rot issue is not because it is a Spencer, which all above will eho. It is an issue with all Timber Boats. If you can over look that only downfall, there is something special about Ply. A Ply Hull has a "feel" all of it's own. I feels so alive on water. And although it would be a result of it's light weight, a lightweight Glass boat still just doesn't feel quite as "alive".
Then add to that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Spencer design. Of all the ones I know, they were designed for "passage making".
I took a quick look at that one on trademe and thought about suggesting it earlier. 
Windows are and aren't a problem. What I mean by that, toughend Glass is strong. You multiply it by 10 from standard glass. In other words, 10mm think glass is equal to 100mm toughend glass. So then if you consider the window and say, I would feel really happy about that size window if it were 100mm thick, then it will be fine with a 10mm toughend glass window that size. The real problem is the actual means of holding the window in place. That is what takes the load if a wave slams it and if it is well held, there will not be a problem. For Cat 1, (I assume this is still required) you need Ply coverings you can screw in place in case of a failure and that is required for all port windows, no matter what size. So the window size is not too much an issue.

Have alook at the ,,, hum ,,, video Geoff stag in his heyday with whispers , I sailed whispers of Wellington to the islands. , but she had no windows. But brilliant boats off shore , they keep you awake and very powerful

Ply is the one material that with WEST epoxy can be fixed and repaired as good as new, certainly in the case of Pivers and a lot of early Spencers better than new if they were bonded with Aerolite.