Solo series 2016/17

Entries are now open on the link below. It is great to have Vinings along as the sponsor for this summers single handed sailing challenge. New courses, new shirts, new blow -up toys! We will have it all. We are also running two divisions again to allow for all you first timers to come along and join in the fun.

http://richmondyc.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016-17-RYC-Singlehanded-Series-EF.pdf

Great to see entries coming in. Will be a good fleet again this year. Remember their is a non extras division if you prefer a more leisurely sail. Great to have Devonport, Buckland's beach and the Pons back as partner clubs for the series again this year. More multi's? Lots of chatter last year.

I'm not convinced in the merits of adding the Coastal Classic to this series...

Reasoning...

There is quite a big fleet racing (lots of boats to potentially hit) and being a coastal race you are never far from the shore/rocks/dangers so a watch will be required continuously. For a multihull/bigger faster mono it probably isn't an issue as it's likely you can finish before you really need sleep but for a small mono, particularly if it's a slower race this becomes an issue.

Some will argue that you can sail around the world solo, why not the coastal? But there is a massive difference. In sailing around the world most of the time you are well away from things to hit... so have opportunity to sleep. Generally after the first 12 hours you are in open water. Secondly the type of boats that do long distance solo races/adventures are generally set up better for it with the likes of radars, AIS, collision avoidance alarms etc. Whereas this series tends to see people giving it a go in whatever they have. I'm all for giving it a go and love solo sailing but from an organisers point of view I would limit the length of races to what I felt the slowest/smallest end of the fleet can comfortably do within their limits of endurance rather than take any risk of liability or responsibility in the event of a tragedy.

The above is solely my own personal opinion and not necessarily that of any organisation of which I'm involved with. It is not intended to be negative on what the series has organised but instead get people thinking and debating. It may even have the effect of someone gaining a better understanding of what is required to do the Coastal Classic solo (how many hours do you expect to be sailing for?) and adding some more safety equipment and/or having a better plan...

It is not part of this series. However the Rooute 66 is and on both occasions that I have done it I have been awake for more than 24 hours although 10 minute cat naps with an alarm, in the cockpit do keep you charged.

I'm not convinced in the merits of adding the Coastal Classic to this series...

Reasoning...

There is quite a big fleet racing (lots of boats to potentially hit) and being a coastal race you are never far from the shore/rocks/dangers so a watch will be required continuously. For a multihull/bigger faster mono it probably isn't an issue as it's likely you can finish before you really need sleep but for a small mono, particularly if it's a slower race this becomes an issue.

Some will argue that you can sail around the world solo, why not the coastal? But there is a massive difference. In sailing around the world most of the time you are well away from things to hit... so have opportunity to sleep. Generally after the first 12 hours you are in open water. Secondly the type of boats that do long distance solo races/adventures are generally set up better for it with the likes of radars, AIS, collision avoidance alarms etc. Whereas this series tends to see people giving it a go in whatever they have. I'm all for giving it a go and love solo sailing but from an organisers point of view I would limit the length of races to what I felt the slowest/smallest end of the fleet can comfortably do within their limits of endurance rather than take any risk of liability or responsibility in the event of a tragedy.

The above is solely my own personal opinion and not necessarily that of any organisation of which I'm involved with. It is not intended to be negative on what the series has organised but instead get people thinking and debating. It may even have the effect of someone gaining a better understanding of what is required to do the Coastal Classic solo (how many hours do you expect to be sailing for?) and adding some more safety equipment and/or having a better plan...

Agree. The coastal is about as long as I would consider in a a fleet this large and this close. About up to 30 hours awake is enough!

Read the post KM. I said I would consider. Not that no-one else should.

As you know, I've done (much) longer solo races. For the coastal though, I expect no sleep, and little rest. For me it's too close to the coast, too much traffic, too many corners. I'll be on watch all the time, even with AIS, radar etc going as well.

In the past, I've found my performance really drops off after about 25-30 hours constant watch. I expect to be finished the costal before then.

If required, and the radar guard zone is clear, I may set the deadman alarm for a short nap if I have to, but I expect not.

My boat is setup as well as i can for solo. To add the coastal to the solo series kind of forces anyone who wants to do well in the series todo it in perhaps a less suitable boat. IMO it's better as a standalone event.

The coastal is not part of the Singled Handed series, the Route 66 is the longest race in the series. I agree we don't want to push people to do the Coastal solo, unless they feel up to it. I am looking forward to the race though!

For the Gulf Harbour race that doesn't actually go to Gulf Harbour now, one of the courses refer to No 1 Green Bouy and Piripiri yellow bouy.

The Auckland Transport "sponsored" map of racing bouys doesn't show either of these bouys

https://at.govt.nz/media/1157005/harbourracingbuoyschartandpositions.pdf

And I haven't been able to sopt a cunningly hidden list of race marks on the RYC website.

What and where are they?