Can I borrow ...

A bog standard pilkington GBE centerboard?

I have skinny boards and want to build some semi permanent sleeves to fill the standard cases.

I'll only need it for an hour or so, just to get templates knocked up.

Cheers, Aaron

There isn't a bog standard Piliington GBE centreboard, they were made in a steel clamp up mold with a central spar/spacer thingy in them and then had the centreboard built around the finished board - they varied In chord - A LOT. And this is what Voom, whoi etc are dealing with. What fits one boat may or may not fit another. Your best option is to get the molds from Tim W and make another one at least then you will know it fits the inserts in your existing CB cases.

Well that's interesting!

My boards are being repaired by some people who should know how.

I just want to tidy up that whole area, the inserts that I use at present look pretty amo' and leave a big hole at the hull/foil junction. That's a lot of excess drag. Although they probably saved us even more drama on Sunday.

Now that I know that there is no "standard" board, I guess I'll have to do it the hard way. Build a blank and plane it down, one mm at a time.

There were 2 GBE boards for sale on trade me recently. They sold for $92 to someone called Hamish from Hibiscus coast.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1146058585

I gave my old boards to Curly for the Plan B. However I might still have the end bits off the new boards from when I cut them off at the right angle. I will have a look for you.

As each foil will cost more than a tidy secondhand car, I've decided to build my own. They won't be as light as the damaged set, but as anyone who has seen my car can tell you, that would be a better place to spend the money.

• Upvote 1

we made a new board (currently on loan to Voom) and gave the old ones away to a cruiser to use as rudders. 

have been storing the stainless steel fold up tool for making centre boards if you want to take a go at that-  no centre board comes out the same as any other out of it tho!

I'm getting sorted guys. I've got an aerospace engineer fixing the broken one and have bought a few tools to build a new set. Just have to save up the pennies for the materials. Thanks for the offers! Whio I'll pm you, I think Ken and I could both make use of that clamp thingy!

Ha! Have to laugh at the irony really.

The boat designer / builder that taught me how to build foils a few years ago proceeded to ditch the composites and now works solely with aluminium. Still designs and builds boats but no glass involved.