Orakei Moorings

The removal of moorings from Okahu bay was signalled 20 years ago when Akarana was originally trying to build the marina. If you guys can't get your act together in that time, I think we can assume you never will. If you bother to look into the history of Okahu bay Maori you might have a somewhat different view. You guys are whinging about an area that no sane person would put his boat in anyway. Sometimes the racist bigotry on this site staggers me.

• Upvote 3

And whilst people may say they should have done something earlier, notiifcations are often pretty poor. Who, for example, read rhe unitary plan?

I managed to keep across the various changes - by just checking the maps. The zoning maps are colour coded so you don't actually have to read anything. (Don't even need to be able to read.... even the banjo playing 6 finger hillbillies and "be consulted" by looking at the maps)

yes reading the text or any of the many thousands of submissions is hard work, but by example, you don't have to read the 7,500 pages. Most people tend to use the contents page to find the relevant section for them. From then on its about as complicated as reading Sailing Instructions  ;-)

Infact, I found looking at maps so easy, I managed to spot an SHA going infront of a mates house and get him up to speed about the implications, on the same day it was announced.

PS, if it weren't for chart plotters I guess even 6 finger hillbillies would still be able to read maps.

The original tunnel plan about 40/50 yrs ago was down to Devonport and through our house (at the time)Garden terrace across to Mechanics bay.

Can you get insurance in okahu bay with so many moorings giving way?what about hobson bay? are they ever going to rebuild the breakwater piles?

We were going to moor at bucks beach until I found out due to ferry traffic etc it was a 2yr inspection not 3 yrs and insurance was higher so ended up at panmure,currently renting a 12t mooring with a 3t yacht on it and it can blow and its not going to move,only problem is the yacht next door may sink(derelict)

AWHC-Sulhur-Beach.jpg

So Mr Tunnelling Engineer - with that alignment, why would our moorings need to be disturbed? Wouldn't the TBM be deep enough that it just bores under our moorings and pops out next to the Onewa interchange? 

Yeah, the mooring field is likely to survive, however, the blue hatch area is land reclamation, so you may lose the ones closest to the shore.

Additionally I would guess that you lose access to the boat ramp and the dinghy lockers for the duration of construction, which at a rough guess would be 5 to 7 years.

This picture is maybe slightly better, the reclamation doesn't wipe out the ramp etc, but I wouldn't bet on being able to get there

Vent-Building-north.jpg

Please note these drawings are from around 2010 so arrangements are liable/likely to change

Has someone really just tried to tell us any group of people that have cute kids and yummy mummies can't be racists? Go stand in the middle of Jerusalem and argue because they also had cute kids and yummy mummies the Nazis weren't racists. I give you less than 10 minutes before you're beaten senseless or killed.

NZ is a very racist country, our laws are based on race, everything in NZ has a race element to it and it has since the pale skins arrived, actually even before that.

If the Auckland Shitty Councillors themselves admit, as they did a few weeks back, they have no idea what's in the unitary plan, is it fair and reasonable to expect Rangi Public too? I think knot.

^

they removed/moved?

the front row a year or so ago 

perhaps a practical - workable solution to moving them all

would be a row a year as they upgrade hobson faciities?

guess we'll see how much they value the goodwill of the mooring owners 

Yeah, the mooring field is likely to survive, however, the blue hatch area is land reclamation, so you may lose the ones closest to the shore.

Additionally I would guess that you lose access to the boat ramp and the dinghy lockers for the duration of construction, which at a rough guess would be 5 to 7 years.

This picture is maybe slightly better, the reclamation doesn't wipe out the ramp etc, but I wouldn't bet on being able to get there

Vent-Building-north.jpg

Please note these drawings are from around 2010 so arrangements are liable/likely to change

another view

Second_Harbour_Crossing_Harbour_Bridge.j

The T O W has become the founding document of "NZ the way they want it". It has become a secretive insidious mechanism, slowly at first but now rapidly stripping ordinary NZ' ers  of their property rights and cash. Cultural and spiritual rights under Sections 6,7 & 8 are now interpreted anyway they want. Recently had an example where they were wanting to stop a small development. Someone planted a stone on the section. All work stopped while an archaeological consultant inspected to see if it was a hangi stone. It wasn't (apparently you can tell ! ). Cost not insignificant ! He said it was a river stone just tossed there . But even if it wasn't just how that's relevant is an example of where NZ has gone with TOW. If the moorings are to be retained it might be a good idea to start flicking koha around. Sections 6,7 & 8 rapidly disappear !

if the U plan passes next month as is

all the moorings in okahu bay will effectively become worthless

ie

$300? of steels wheels on the sea bed

requiring $300? to move

on a brighter note

saw guys with a concrete wheelbarrow working on the curran st wreck the other day

had a reply

Yes we are aware of plans but in our experience there is often lots of talk and little action re the moorings plus it holds its value as a physical thing that we own, chain, concrete etc. 

Mooring at OKahu also avail able for $1500ish neg. 

So really worth nothing??

The mooring spot has always been worth nothing, it is owned by the public and everyone only leases them at a peppercorn rental, $120 a year +/- I think it is. The gear is what you are paying for and $1500 is OK as long as the gear is in good nick. If someone is selling you the spot then they shouldn't be. Like in Waiheke they were selling spots, not the gear just the location, for upwards of 15K...until the council reminded them they could take the spot away in a minute... and would if they didn't stop it.

If the Unitary plan is right in saying the Maori want them gone and has a 12 month time frame I think you'd be brave if you ignored that. In the eyes of the council Maori come first and foremost in all decisions so the council will ensure the moorings are gone inside the time frame.

I understand Hobson bay can hard to get insurance due to mooring not embedded in mud but rather on papua rock?is this case?

keen to move from the river to a somewhat more handy position,Does any know if the breakwater will be reinstalled ?