Help choosing a trailer sailer - big is better right?

I was just impressed with the pulling power of the Hilux.

Yes it's on a 2010 braked trailer tows really nicely, seems to pull up ok. Didn't have to test it in an emergency luckily though.

There is an old saying about towing " never go down a hill faster than you can go up".

Yes I can't wait to get it wet!

Is your Hilux the D-4D motor? You can get them remapped quite reasonably by DPS in Matamata and they perform considerably better and you will also find you get better mileage. Its a proper remap, not "chip tuning" On a long trip towing you really notice the difference.

But more importantly, get out, get it wet and have some fun. Taking an extra few minutes to get there is not the end of the world.

I agree, taking a bit longer to get there is just fine. If we were in a rush we would have ski boats with 200+HP....

Planning our first outing - looking at Tarawera.

The chip mod sounds good, I have a warranty and it possibly would void it, also I prefer reliability over power.

Nice choice, I did the TY Nationals on a Catalina on lake Taupo and we won our division, it,s the one being towed by a truck at the beginning of the retro video. My Father was a partner in the company that built them a very good design. Because of the way the ballast is done they are still self righting with the board up. Have fun.

They must have known what they were doing when building them, the boats in great condition considering the age and seems really well built.

I read about the ballast feature on the NZTYA site, really like that idea.

I cannot find the retro video you mentioned?

Catalinas are great boats. I recall a Waikato one in the 80's sailed raced by a gun crew that cleaned up against some good competition. No slug with good sails and sailed right

I'll be the slug not quite sailing it right, haha

Great to see Kiwi on his Maiden voyage over the weekend.

Thanks Brad, was an excellent weekend, we had a ball!

The lake is beautiful and everyone was so helpful and friendly, We enjoyed every minute and managed to get through the weekend without incident especially thanks to Owens great help and directions.

You can charter a Noelex 25 or 30 in the Bay of Islands pretty cheaply (we did this when starting to sail as you can also do courses on them) so you could go up for a few days and see how you find one.  We chartered through Great Escape and from memory it's about $200 a day/night.  Always great to have a few days on a boat to know if that's the model for you (ie. can you fit the kids on it and still have fun!).  I really loved the Noelex 25 - was a great boat to learn on.

Hi all newbie wanting info on trojan 750 (1)Do they sail OK (2)Is there any problems with aluminium board? Etc

Hey - I saw this post a while ago and was going to reply, but couldn't register on the forums.

Anyway, as a Trojan 750 owner for ~20 years, the answer to your questions:

First the alloy centreboard.  The answer is maybe.  My boat was made in '82 (Bonito), the centreplate is as new.  On some other Trojans they rotted out fast.  Only a guess, but I suspect they used different grades of alloy - the only way to find out is to look.  Some have had the alloy plate replaced with steel.

As for do they sail OK.  So long as the boats haven't been dicked around too much, they sail fine.  

They have a full length skeg (to the transom) so won't tack as quickly as some, and you need to use backstay to flatten the main.  They seem a little "tender" due to ballast being in the bilge/stub keel, but have a very high SRI. I only raced mine a few times in 20 years, it's not great on tight harbour courses as it has a full length skeg so slows when tacking, and no self-tacking gib, that's annoying but meaningless for cruising. It points fine.  In the longer races I just put up #1 or #2 genoa / change sails as needed, really annoys some of the competitive folks in common boats, but as a cruising boat by design, it does it's job well, that's where it excels.