New rules for chucking the Bucket in the Sounds

KM's post in the tech section just reminded me. For those that play in the Sounds, the Marborough Council are bringing in new rules for discharging waste from your Boat. The new rules will be that you can not discharge your toilet or holding tank within 1Km of the Shore or Marine Farm. I am not sure when the new rule starts, but I suspect it will be brought in before Summer.
This will also mean that some of the inner sounds area's will not be wide enough to allow many to discharge their Toilets.

Yes I had the Auckland situation in my mind when I was reading all the whinging about it here. Personally I have no issue with the new rules here. In fact, 1000m from something you eat is still too close in my view. And even though it limits many of where they can discharge, the thing is there are pump out facilities at the Marinas, which are not as far to go to as in Auckland and there are still a few areas of the Sounds that you can dump....the toilet that is.

Something I have always found funny though, is the rules of not being able to throw veggie scraps overboard within 5Nm of shore.

Every other type of poo can go in there though, dog,cat,bird,fish,whale,dolphin,bat,rat,rabbit,whitebait,possum,sheep,cow,goat,thar,chamois,wallaby,kiwi,shark,mustelid,hare,deer, leachate from all the disposable nappies that are dumped in landfill, the tukituki river et al etc.etc., plus now when the holding tanks are pumped out there is a much larger concentrated lump of sh*t left to dissipate, as against the odd macerated turd or three. Check out the permits that allow councils to dump raw sewerage into the harbours , multiple times a year, when the infrastructure can't cope, and the debacle that was mangawhai's sewerage solution that they even have a sea outfall pipe now being considered as a possibility.

Remember the food scraps have a maximum size as well!

Yes that's correct Steve. The dilution effect of millions of cubes of saltwater on a toilet discharge is so great it is virtually impossible to measure. The islanders have been using their lagoons for their waste since time began. This phobia about boat discharge is more about appearances than health issue. And power and control by Regional Councils justifying their expensive existences

• Downvote 1

Good to hear you two don't mind taking a nice swim in a sunny sheltered bay with my curry and Guinness pooee floaters then. Let me know where you're anchored and I'll drop them off.

Personally, I don't like swimming with turds, so we have a good large holding tank and take the time to go out to deeper water to empty it.

Basic etiquette really.

• Upvote 1

What is being proposed is a draft as part of the Draft Marlborough Environment Plan. YNZ have made a submission which can be found here: http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/advocacy/ynz-submissions

Northland Regional Council are currently reviewing their Regional Plan and have introduced some draft rules around sewage which don't seem practical. We are currently preparing feedback on their draft, submissions close on Friday. 

This may be of interest to some of you (an update on some of the recent advocacy work being done at YNZ):

http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/201609/ynz-working-to-get-plans-right

• Upvote 2

No problem Fish. Been swimming in much more crowded bays than your effluent can produce for many years. No turds or guiness / curry floaters as you so succinctly put it. That's because it's well macerated / diluted but you perhaps don't want to see this through your emotional eyes. BTW we even have 'enjoyed" the company of the Piedy boys over the years with their bucket & chuck it arrangements.Their ghetto blasters were the only problem my wife and kids experienced