Yacht missing around Gisbourne

JK

More alternative media:

. crikey.com.au led the online push in Australia/NZ

. http://publicaddress.net/

. The Young Turks - biggest online news service in the world

. privately curated twitter feeds

the list goes on. I am proud to say I have not bought a newspaper since about 1995 when things like this began to start up on the internet.

Just read the act again. What he needs is a sympathetic lawyer to lodge an urgent appeal in the district court down there. That'll then force MNZ to send their highly paid legal beagles rushing up from wellywood in their maseratis!

to me this story sounds like the guy didn't call in when he was supposed to (for whatever reason, dead battery etc), this raised an alarm which resulted in a "nationwide" search. the guy was found and seemed to be ok. Then for some reason some journo got hold of this story and escalated it. It came out that he was inexperienced, he still hadn't checked in and so another search was done to locate him. again he was found and still seemed to be ok, just no comms. Then I think this is where it got out of hand. the journo reported that 2 searches had been conducted however the guy will not be charged for the cost.( the outrage that us hardworking people paying taxes has to pick up this bill)  at this point MNZ has to go to damage control and issue statements such as "we dont want to put people off using our services" however some members of the hard tax paying public will be complaining because why is an inexperienced guy allowed to go out. So to save face, MNZ have had to make a show of "doing" something to stop wasting money on this guy and imposed section 55 which if you read it is so generic that right now he could be allowed to carry on his travels. all he needs is proof of communications 1x radio and 1 x mobile phone is more than enough and show he has had his battery issue resolved. and prove he is able to to sail, the CG even commented that he has experience now. how can you prove you are able to sail in this country, there is no license and you do not have  to do any skipper course for coastal sailing. 

the problem here is the journo who needs to make a living and ensure his/her story sells, so embellish the story and pushes the "hard" question. 

the next thing to happen will be, he will be allowed to leave having "satisfied" MNZ section 55 in a few days, the journo will do a follow up piece showing his boatmaster certificate, and his new battery, solar panel, and vhf, all of which will probably be payed for by CG. and say we have the best system in the world because we have not charged this young sailor and helped him to achieve his dream (but cost the public even more money) 

i am pretty sure he will change his plan now and tell his mates, he will call them once a week to avoid future issues. 

. And then even though he was safely anchored at Whale Island, they forced him instead to cross the "notorious Whakatane bar."

In a "gusty northeasterly" what is more. Not the conditions i'd choose to enter whakatane.

And if a Harbourmaster has the power to do this then why the hell aren't they utilising this section when some of our "peers" in the stinkpot world set off in small ships, overweight with no lifejackets!

Case in point: two guys were rescued after capsizing a 5m tinnie at the maketu bar in the weekend heading out in "harsh conditions" to set a net.

Now I don't know all the legal ins and outs, but possibly registering the vessel offshore would limit interference in one's nautical activities by all these governmental busybodies. It's something I am looking into.

And while we'are at it, whatever happened to interfering with a vessel going about her lawful occasions and under command of her legally appointed master being considered an act of piracy?

Or is this yet another right surrendered to this 'we know what's best for you' state?

Now I don't know all the legal ins and outs, but possibly registering the vessel offshore would limit interference in one's nautical activities by all these governmental busybodies. It's something I am looking into.

That was the thinking I had in my mind when I asked earlier about whether MNZ had that kind of power over a non Cat compliant vessel. If it does, then MNZ need to have a man down at every ramp in the Country to stop any one they think doesn't have enough experience to operate a Boat. Thye better have a damn big carpark to put them all in and the following weekend is going to be quite out on the water.

Does not matter what flag you carry. Within territorial waters, authorities of that nation have the right to board, direct to Port, inspect, and if breaking any law, impound, or fine any vessel. They can also oblige it to leave their territory...

Well interesting reading well done , I learnt a few things , to , I imagine the young fellow is well on his way enjoying his boat , catching the odd fish for tea , loving the life style , meeting people where he stops , gaining experence the best way for sailing an learning about his boat what more does a guy want, but I bet he gives Auckland a miss and heads north well done

I've checked it out, and IT is correct, unfortunately.

Government authorities may board any foreign flagged vessel in its territorial waters, and on the high seas warships may board a vessel where an agreement exists between the respective flags of the vessels involved. Surprise surprise, the Americans have been busy setting up such agreements with all and sundry - they're even worse than our lot at sticking their noses into other people's business.

Years ago we were alongside in a place called Walvis Bay in what was then South West Africa and after stevedoring finished for the day some of the crew went for a run ashore and returned later in the company of a donkey that they'd acquired somewhere, no doubt a quite acceptable thing to do after imbibing vast amounts of Castle lager. The police duly arrived together with an irate owner who retrieved his animal whilst the police requested from the wharf that the donkeynappers accompany them to the station. The request was politely declined. And the point of this is that firstly the police or any other Authority was not permitted to board a foreign flagged vessel without first obtaining consular approval. This is how it used to be, everyplace.

And secondly, it reminds me of just how great are the liberties and freedoms that we have lost, and how all pervading government interference has become in every aspect of our over regulated lives. We need an effective lobby to protect what remains of the amateur yachtman's rapidly diminishing rights.

Hmmm ScottiE, personal insults. I see you are a great believer in player the man not the ball. Perhaps if you could refrain from personal attacks upon people who dont agree with you then better discussion could be had, after all last time I checked this was not sailing anarchy.