Taupo virgin - cruising info please

We just bought a trailer sailer! Planning our first trip and have chosen lake Taupo.

Can anyone offer some local knowledge on ramps, anchorages, things to see, things to avoid etc etc.

Have downloaded the chart and scanned google earth, looks like plenty of anchorage options for almost all wind directions.

Thanks in advance

Make sure you have and use your Nav lights, and have ramp permits etc. the local harbour master is a bit of a nazi - or at least used to be - probably a new one by now, I was just thinking how many years ago that was :-(

Done a bit of sailing on Taupo. It's lovely, check out the Maori rock carvings on the way around to Kinloch.

It can cut up very rough very quick so keep an eye on the weather. It's cold and fresh water reacts different to salt water. It's also very deep and there is (or was) quite a bit of weed that will make an anchor unretrievable in a small boat if you're not careful. 

First trip, I'd go for Rotoiti or Tarawera, there's hot pools :-)

• Upvote 1

I agree with Sundreamer for a madain voyage to head for the Rotorua Lakes. Yes there are many bays that look like over night locations on Taupo, but they do not always provide as much protection as you expect. Everywhere is a long way if you have move.

Great to see you have a good boat there.

Let us know if you want to head to Rotoiti.

Done - You had me at hot pools.

Tarawera was our first thought, have been there once in the power boat, great place, went to that hot water beach. I saw a you tube video of a bloke camping in a Tinnie and he walked up a track to a hot pool/creek, do you know where that is?

I'm not at all familiar with Rotoiti, but I do like the idea of a more friendly lake for the maiden voyage.

Any pointers on these lakes is much appreciated.

From hot water beach you continue west to where a swampy looking area meets the southern hillside. The hot pool is a short walk through the bush.

The outlet to the east is a nice area. Be mindful of the rivers flow. If you're keen you can walk to a stunning waterfall.