Has Atom Ant flipped??

SloopJohnB

Amazing what prattle you find when you start reading the threads!!....AA you would miss our now closer than ever contests if you found a raft! Give it another season and we will either have some amazing close racing - or BnG will peeve you off that much by beating you over the finish line by the thickness of the polish you have just put on!!

....as for the rent-a-crew - JH sticks well to the foredeck of BnG...his non skid shoes might not let him jump ship again for a while..... :wave:

Too true Mr Bump. Well this is how you replay me for lending you my crew. He jumps ship! Well he's young and allowed to make mistakes! See if you can get him to go to school more than once a week eh. I don't think I'm getting a raft any day soon as there isn't anything I like that I can afford!

I do like these though http://www.dragonfly.dk/boats/dragonfly ... ation.aspx

or these

http://www.f-boat.com/f-33.html

I'm sure that as the handicapper, you realise that sailing with 3 hulls means that the times for all 3 must be taken and added together?

I think you'll find the ant gives you a better chance of beating BnG....

AA - go for the F33 - very nice but still cant work out what the extra hulls are for! Guess Im just not made for raft sailing (yet)!! Might cost you a small house with the bank I suspect though...let me know if you want crew to help bring her back from SYD!!!

...and Im sure we can repay you for "loaning" us "little J" - maybe we can discuss "terms" over a coldy on Sunday!! :lol:

You could drop the keel from AA and get Mr Wolf to make you some floats. :D

Now there's an idea! Be a bit on the heavy side methinks! But a roomy centre hull!

and if you don't like it you can easily convert it back again. :lol: :lol:

I actually think that is a really nice boat. It may be slightly too cruising oriented for what AA needs in that he really wants to race the Weiti locals (Meltdown, Kant Know and Repeat Offender) for line.

I saw that one. I don't know anything about them but from reading on crew in days past I got the impression that Newicks are quite good. Out of my budget though I'm afraid. That could be the killer in the end for me as what I will have to spend will be what I get...

Hey Smithy and Mr Wolf, I saw this ad as it's been for sale for quite some time. Advice I've had is that it is overpriced and that I'd get it for alot less. I have made enquiries of the owner and it is the racing version which basically means a mast that is 1 metre taller than the cruising version. Again I know nothing of the performance of the design. I quite like the swing wing concept but again know nothing about how successfully it works vs maintenance of it etc in NZ.

I do want to race but a bit of cruisability/weekending would be nice. Racing Meltdown, Kan't Know or Repeat Offender for line isn't gonna be within my budget but we can race for handicap. I don't have any desire to join the 8.5 fleet but that's more to do with where I live than anything else.

But I could afford this boat provided I sell... What can anyone tell me about this model of Dragonfly?

I've seen the Dragonfly out a few times and she looks to sail rather well, quite quick and easily handled. I'm sure I saw an older couple on it coming back in one day in some nasty weather, they seemed to be able to handle it, inc sails up/down, parking her and etc, with ease.

She wouldn't be called a monster with inside room but seems to be enough for a couple to cruise with nicely. A well designed boom tent could be the call, that would give her heaps more.

She lives just by us in Bayswater. Handy having the fold up thing, she just sits in a normal berth with one wing tucked in.

The one you want is sitting opposite her, the tweak Turisimo 'Mutang'. Knot for sale though, as far as I know.

I've sailed it quite a few times with the previous owner. Very exciting and incredibly smart in design. Only has spinnaker so would need some assymetrical sails. Very clever Elvstrom reefing on the genoa. Always seemed fast high teens never seemed to hard with the main and genoa. W hen these were launched in the ealry 90s they won either the around Britain opr round Oreland race. Can't remember which.Nice concept although would only be cruising for two. Cockpit does have a zip tent and the stove also has a cabin heater. They do fetch big money in Europe and in the states.

What is the general opinion of this one then?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 142936.htm

The first boat I looked at buying when I started looking was Kupapa.

at that stage it was owned by a NZer living in Ireland and two years prior it had won Coastal.

It needed a lot of work which has now been done.

Its a bit more a cruiser /racer than vice versa, but well sailed its still a very fast boat.

as to the Dragonfly, sorry AA I don't know anything about it. there is also the Farrier 25 Fire and Ice which is also in the exact same style.

Set up for racing I'd expect you'd be in the same range as Putiki express.

Archived