Happy Teeth the Leopard Seal

John do you mean it is beginning to assert rights over the territory the authorities seem to have allowed it? If that's the case there should be no real surprise - and although its not anybodies fault the seal took a berth here, it seems a bit daft to have allowed it to become comfortable (although to be fair - how does one scare an apex predator? "BOO" even with capital letters probably doesn't cut it).

It's a(nother) killing machine by all accounts and if a Great White or a Saltie had taken up digs in Westhaven I suspect we'd have seen some other outcome already.

As much as I hate seeing gods little animals killed without good cause, for the safety of the public this animal needs to be dispatched

- now. Dart it with intention of relocation and if it responds by going into dive mode that spirals into oblivion - so be it.

Can you imagine the wailing and wringing of hands should a child or an old granny find themselves on the seals menu?

The welcome mat needs pulling from under its spotty arse. Bags not doing it..

Well that's two instances on this site alone, JohnB and Spanish fly, where aggressive behaviour has been suggested. They need to be reported to both DOC and the marina management for something to actually be done. Otherwise DOC WILL do nothing.

Instant lead disease I tell ya!

It must be used to humans by now and likes our company. She has no need to protect her patch from humans as she has come into our teritory by choice. In my opinion she probably wont harm anyone unles provoked.

There is likely to be several larger sharks lurking under the harbour bridge every night.

There is likely to be several larger sharks lurking under the harbour bridge every night.

Really? I had no idea the unscrupulous Boat Yard Repair Owners hung out under the bridge at night. Or are we talking about the real big sharks called Lawyers? ;-)

I think some are over reacting a tad. Something out of the norm here on Crew ;-)

If it were aggressive, it would have taken a bite by now or seen off several people. Any animal is going to give a warning gruff to anyone if it pops it's head up and finds itself only 300mm away from a Human. If it were aggressive, it would have taken a good bite and continued to come at the Guy.

It is in the Seals best interest to be moved. Events are being cancelled and there is a genuine and growing concern it's going to have a go at someone shortly or possibly some redneck action against it. It's started biting things that aren't fish.

Sure it may not be an aggressive attack but when 300kg of apex predator is seen even having a sly suss of 45kg little Johnny do you think the Seals future will be bright and long term? There is simply no benefit short nor long term to having the Seal there. Either it is removed peacefully now or it's likely to die (be killed??) there shortly.

I agree with Kevin and Waikiore, trap and release far far away. That is the preferred option by everyone.

Due to a position I hold I see what's going on in the background.

IMHO The biggest problem we have - and as we all know it doesn't just apply in this instance - is that we live in that land of the long white coloum of ambulances at the bottom of the cliff. The authorities charged with acting in our best interests will likely do diddly squat until somebody gets hurt, and when that happens they will wail on about what a terrible thing it is blah blah blah, and then hold another meeting before they do a thing.

I really hope I am wrong and would be delighted if they would act sooner than later. Agreed the animal needs to be carefully handled to provide the best chance of a long and magnificent life but as has been pointed out before this is not an endangered species,

KM - not having a go, but what is going on in the background ?

I don't want to see the thing harmed, but Its going to take something bigger than  fish soon.  I doubt very much if the people on the manukau want it, Doc would  have to ship it a long way away.

These arguments comparing it to Orca or Shark are not real.

If shark wanted to eat humans there would be a thousand attacks a year here because they're everywhere, there aren't.

Orca are family units and cultures with specific hunting  methods to their geography and population. I think there is one recorded incident ( apart from sea world) where orca are said to have attacked humans and that was off South america somewhere IIRC. I forget the book, but I could probably find it.

Leopard seals are  apex predators and they do have a reputation for aggression ., they are different.

• Upvote 1

KM - not having a go, I know and just as a FYI, if you ever want to go hard. If it's justified I'll take it on board, if not I'll just ignore it. Either way I'll still buy you a beer after.

but what is going on in the background ? Concern and a fast growing concern recently due to the behaviour change. It has been nudging, climbing into, biting dingys, some occupied most, at this stage, not. Having a crack at passing dogs and having a few barks at humans. She has lost what little fear of humans she once had, which is nice in a way as it means we haven't been a bitch to her but it also means she is not afraid to come after us either. Most of this is newish and she wasn't doing it a month or 3 back.

I do get the impression everyone loves the idea we have her here, it is quite cool for sure but with this change it seems no one is really to sure what to do with her except that something does have happen before it goes bad for any of us, her included. DOC, the Zoo and many other experts are in on it trying to suss a solution that will be acceptable. By 'acceptable' I heavily suspect that means something positive not negative on TV news. There is also the protection laws to work around. As I understand it she is a protected animal in a protected area, which is a tad inconvenient.

It is a tricky one for sure but rest assured no one wants any harm to come to man or beast. I also suspect it is close to a point a decision will be made, I hope so mainly for her sake. One wrong or perceived wrong move and it could easily end badly for her.

If a land leopard was left to roam around downtown auckland everyone would lock themselves in their apartments and insist it was removed before they came out. Regardless of how well it was fed courtesy of the local pigeon flock.

I can't see how a sea leopard is that much different.

• Upvote 1

If a land leopard was left to roam around downtown auckland everyone would lock themselves in their apartments and insist it was removed before they came out. Regardless of how well it was fed courtesy of the local pigeon flock.

I can't see how a sea leopard is that much different.

Brilliant!

The cross harbour swim is coming up...wouldn't want to be a straggler!

It's OK, I'm pretty sure the Seal will be given a huge handicap  ;)

Surprised Worksafe isn't involved as the staff at Westhaven are working in a hazardous environment. Then again maybe they have been trained on what to do and how to handle it to cover managements butt. Just the unsuspecting users of Westhaven and its environs that are left in a hazardous situation. Have actually heard Westhaven senior staff member say its like having a wild lion roaming in your village. 

Anybody know what the situation is now? Yeap

Seems to have gone quiet which is probably good news. Not for the Seal.