Happy Teeth the Leopard Seal

Eye don't beleave for one minute that the seal is playing with the inflatable boats. Eye beleave that it's is using the compressed air to floss it's teeth.

If the marina was to set up a compressed air lead some place. that the little beasty can access it,will leave the dings alone. And have good teeth health and live a long and happy life.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish it would eat the little handbag dog of one of idiots going on about how cute she is. That might change a few minds.   I saw a comment on one of the many facebook loveins about the ‘cute’ sea

I dont understand why shooting it is not an option. I'm not stirring, I just don't understand. Its not endangered, it is causing trouble and there is a risk it may injure humans.   And I'm glad to p

Still not really the point. You pay for the marina berth and included in that is security for your vessel and fittings. If some hoon had come down to your boat and destroyed your dinghy, you would ex

Posted Images

I just do not get DOC with this seal,it roams does what it wants,punctures rubber toys(inflatables) and DOC do nothing over a wound it has suffered. Yet had it been a kiwi weka kea all hell would break loose to capture,repair the damage.

Had the seal been in a marine park like marine world napier/san diego the vets would find a way to help it recover.

Vets are not magicians. As has been said before on this thread, anaesthetising mammals such as seals and dolphins is not possible. Vets don't work on Tigers  and Leopards (or even your regular tabby) with out some kind of anaesthetic. If the could, they would.

Shooting it is simply not an option. Just like shooting a rogue and dangerous kiwi wouldn't be an option.

Just keep away from it, and don't leave your dinghy inflated in the water when you're not there. Get different fenders, and legislate that insurance companies can't increase their premiums based on the presence of Owha?

I know it's difficult for that company mentioned above to not leave their gear unattended. But tat the end of the day, if leopard seals have made Westhaven their home, removing one will only see her replaced by another, I'm guessing.

Shooting it is simply not an option. Just like shooting a rogue and dangerous kiwi wouldn't be an option.

Just keep away from it, and don't leave your dinghy inflated in the water when you're not there. Get different fenders, and legislate that insurance companies can't increase their premiums based on the presence of Owha?

I dont understand why shooting it is not an option. I'm not stirring, I just don't understand. Its not endangered, it is causing trouble and there is a risk it may injure humans.

And I'm glad to pay a squillion dollars a year to berth my boat at a marina where you cant leave your dinghy in the water. or have fenders. Oh wait.  

DOCs response to it all is a f*cking joke.

The fact that after all these months and 600+ posts nobody has so much as changed the spelling mistake in the thread title makes me believe that action on Happy Teeth isn't happening any time soon.

Looks more like tooth mark to me, probably bit it's own lip when a dinghy popped :-)

Is that a dig at me? Fixed it for you :-)

In San Diego, not just one, but a whole colony of seals are a constant at the various marinas, and have always been a constant.  

One notable circumnavigator currently berthed in San Diego writes:  "When I stood in the companionway yesterday afternoon I discovered a large sea lion sunning himself on the dock beside GANNET.  He had arrived quietly and I had not known he was there.  When he saw me he reared up and arrked with loud irritation.

Before GANNET’s circumnavigation I learned from a dock yard worker that sea lions can surprisingly be driven off by water.  They don’t like to be sprayed with a hose.  Mine was on the dock a little too close to the beast, so I got the plastic bowl I use as the kitchen sink and reached over the side to fill it.  The instant I threw the contents at him, he dove from the dock.

He circled around, but when each time he approached the dock he saw me now armed with the hose, he finally gave up and went elsewhere."

You are starting to post conflicting messages here

And now it looks like you've run out of logic or reasonable arguements and are just doing some toy throwing.

Bulls are dangerous, that is why they are kept in paddocks and people stay away from them.

How is a Leopard Seal any different?

The govt will ban popcorn and chips cause they are dangerous, but leave a wild apex predator to play in the urban environment? C'mon....

Hey Fish stop playing the man instead of the ball, its very possible to hold multiple viewpoints that appear contradictory but are consistent.  I stand by my comment that shooting it is very bad form. I also appreciate the damage it has done and the associated frustration but that anger should be to directed at DOC and Westhaven. The former for not appreciating that it's a pest causing disruption in the marina and to Kevin Lidgard et al for not pushing harder to chase it off. 

We are not talking about a territorial one ton male farm animal with big horns on its head that wants to gore you to death so it can have sex with the cows next door, but a legally protected marine animal- end of silly analogies and unless you approve of lawless vigilante action to solve this problem there has to be another way to deal with it.

Eric was starting to go on about fizzy drinks and get into talkback mode, nothing to do with the seal. Didnt we all decide that political trolling was best left over in small talk?

Personally I am not too bothered by the seal- a little bit of anxiety when I clean the boat, I dont have toddlers and I keep the dinghy on the foredeck but it is a problem and what people need to do is get the numbers to facilitate change. A pressure group that writes letters, lobbies the council and the local MP, get the insurance companies onside blah blah blah, then you can effect change that will be lasting and effective. Shooting it is a temporary (and illegal) solution, until the next one turns up and the next one after that.... 

I dont understand why shooting it is not an option. I'm not stirring, I just don't understand. Its not endangered, it is causing trouble and there is a risk it may injure humans.

And I'm glad to pay a squillion dollars a year to berth my boat at a marina where you cant leave your dinghy in the water. or have fenders. Oh wait.  

DOCs response to it all is a f*cking joke.

Just another  "entitled" human that thinks because you have the means, you have the right?

So much for living in harmony with your environment. If its any kind of a perceived problem just shoot it.

I admit I'm somewhat ambivalent on this, and seeing as my dinghy is intact may have a skewed opinion.

When all said and done , they are the dept of conservation.

Not OSH, which from my perspective, are ridiculous. And self interested.

I wonder what would have happened if a white pointer had taken residence and was attacking dinghies?

I guess because of the amount of behavioral evidence, it would be dispatched.

Not so with the leopard seal. (Not perceived as a significant threat.)

Or are you in the Smith Hosking camp that believes that any money for scientists to better understand our 

environment is a waste. That all research is partisan and therefore of no value?

All ready posted but here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmVWGvO8Yhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBG-ci8Nb9o

Two of many on quick search.

Gave us a fly past on S Marina last night before the race - no sign of wound and seemed normal. Were some slabs of polystyrene floating around so assume she had had a play. Having met the thing under water twice while cleaning boat, am losing my absolute fear (nothing worse to fear than fear itself). Would still not go in knowing she is there but the wetsuit probably would not need a good clean next time.