Nova 28

Just as a matter if curiosity, what sort of speed are you expecting to get from a Nova in any given wind and see condition? Personally, sailing ours down here in the open seas off the East Coast of the South Island, with sails set to suit the conditions and maintain handling, I was pretty happy to be doing somewhere around 6-7 knots off the wind. Yep, have gone faster, but that was pressing the boat hard.

It's a 28ft cruising boat, with a waterline length about 6 foot less than that. Built for strength and sea keeping, not speed.

Hi Alastair i'm happy what I can get, my assumption about higher speed with new headsail is based on the condition of my genoa. New sails always makes difference and you all right, this boat built to get through on whatever nature throw on and I'm aware of that. 

By the way we sailed up from Dunedin in 35+ NW wind to Akaroa just a week before the fishing boat tragedy in the area.So I have respect for Novas. Speed? That's only one component...

This is the cabin layout what I was talking about. 

Is anyone seen similar like this on Nova?

That is a Dinette layout and not that uncommon: but I think more common in the wooden nova's. So yours may have been a home build possibly.

Mine was dinette with the galley to port and the table/dbl berth: freezer was stb with a single berth. Head and v berth in the bow. We only had 1 quarter berth to stb as the port side space was used for a cockpit locker. The engine was mounted on the center line of the vessel under the galley sink.  A very useful and workable layout in my opinion: and I miss it today. Unfortunately I don't have any pics I can share. Even your squab fabric looks very familiar to me :)

My one is the only what I seen yet but I have limited experience with wooden versions. I also feel pretty usable, tons of space and lockers around, even under the table. Only two things a bit annoying, the ps single bed is quite narrow, I may convert the lockers and make it slightly wider. Also the chart table not in level when with the two seats so was pretty uncomfortable when we tried but that will be an easy fix with spacers.

Yes I think te fabric was really common I seen on quite a few boats .

So you think Waimanu could be a home finished one? 

So you think Waimanu could be a home finished one? 

Not sure. But I don't recall seeing the dinette layout in any of the production boats I looked at... Someone else will no doubt know a bit more..Mine was professionally built hull and deck: the interior finished off by the owner.

I had a wooden Nova (Summer Breeze) for about 10 years.Covered a lot of miles between Auck/Barrier/BOI and still have very fond memories.  Great sea boat with motion better than most. Best improvement I made was a fully batterned main. Often rather than reef could dump...wait a while and then get going again. Also liked to heel over and put her shoulder in. (The hull wouldn't look out of shape with a long keel). Made a little more leeway but better speed as waterline closer to 28 feet rather than 22. 

I am sure you will appreciate the Nova for what she is ...a classic small cruiser with the ability to keep going long after you don't really want to. Well done Alan Wright.

I had a wooden Nova (Summer Breeze) for about 10 years.

Were you based in Pineharbour? That vessel name seems to ring some bells.. There was a Nova 28 Assoc going in the mid 90,s as well.

I agree: Starfinder used to dig in and the water would occasionally come green back to the cabin top. I don't miss that: However it is not dangerous as long as everything is tight and in good order. Been on more than one commercial fish boat where this is a normal state of affairs :)

Hi Alastair i'm happy what I can get, my assumption about higher speed with new headsail is based on the condition of my genoa. New sails always makes difference and you all right, this boat built to get through on whatever nature throw on and I'm aware of that. 

By the way we sailed up from Dunedin in 35+ NW wind to Akaroa just a week before the fishing boat tragedy in the area.So I have respect for Novas. Speed? That's only one component...

I think Waimanu was on a mooring in Deborah Bay beside our Nova "Silhouette" for a while, wondered where she had gone, now I know !

There was a post here earlier about weather helm developing quickly on the Nova. I found that too initially, but changing the headsail in plenty of time sorted that out. At first I was tempted to carry the No1 Genoa for longer than I really ought, because there didn't feel to be any risk of breaking anything, but she did become quite heavy on the helm. Started to become more proactive with my sail changes though, and the boat was far more balanced and fun to sail. That No1 Genoa on the Nova is fairly big.

Our keel was slightly modified from the standard fin, in that is slightly narrower, but a bit deeper. Was supposed to help the upwind performance, but since we never race, and I've never sailed another Nova, I can't really say whether or not it actually helped.

Moored at Algies and raced with Sandspit yacht Club. Think we were anchored next to Starfinder for new years eve 1999/2000, round from Russell in what was a wet new year

You have an excellent memory me thinks :) Better than mine anyway: I didn't own her then but she would have been back in the Auck area by then. She went to Whangamata for about 18mths after I sold her about 1997.

I think Waimanu was on a mooring in Deborah Bay beside our Nova "Silhouette" for a while, wondered where she had gone, now I know !

There was a post here earlier about weather helm developing quickly on the Nova. I found that too initially, but changing the headsail in plenty of time sorted that out. At first I was tempted to carry the No1 Genoa for longer than I really ought, because there didn't feel to be any risk of breaking anything, but she did become quite heavy on the helm. Started to become more proactive with my sail changes though, and the boat was far more balanced and fun to sail. That No1 Genoa on the Nova is fairly big.

Our keel was slightly modified from the standard fin, in that is slightly narrower, but a bit deeper. Was supposed to help the upwind performance, but since we never race, and I've never sailed another Nova, I can't really say whether or not it actually helped.

Yes you all right about the head sail, I have a furled one which is quite easy to furl/reef an seconds. Therefore I tending to leave it out lot longer. Also the fully battened main works great  when I drop the traveller if I need. Anyway as soon have enough power to heel over (25-30 degrees) which feels great and the boat accelerates, the helm becoming a bit heavy so I have to de-power otherwise the drag increase on the rudder. 

I do some racing, just because it is a great opportunity to improve myself ( I mostly doing it alone). The cruse is different. Lot less sail up, get prepared for changes, more people on board more responsibility. I prefer the second one but I learned a lot about the limits of the boat which will help to make decisions with less stress if you know what I mean.

Anyway if you in our way I'm happy to see you for a spin. 

Windy Day

I found a picture which was taken on a windy day not long after I bought Waimanu. I have no wind instruments on board but I checked the record online and was 28-35knts.

The boat handled pretty easily and I had no trouble to maneuver myself. This is the cruising setup. Last weekend we had similar conditions and I had two crew on board. Same head sail and one reef only (two reef on the picture) and that was comfortable as well, but only because of the extra hands on deck to trim.

I thought Waimanu has / had a home made wooden vane SS fitted? She has recently done a NI circumnavigation, is that you?

Sorry about the misleading, was not intentional. My Waimanu is the second. So Waimanu II precisely.

I have a question which is more general than Nova related. As I mentioned earlier I noticed how crowded the prop shaft area between the gearbox and the gland packing. Apparently I can't have access to the seal itself as not enough space to remove the cap from there. I was thinking to move the engine forward by 100-150 mm or maybe a bit more but 200mm max. I know this is quite a big job and new prop shaft  and engine mount involved as well (the engine mount needs to be replaced anyway).

I also expect a small improvement in the weight distribution as well but it is not that simple. I don't have any universal joint on the shaft and I want to avoid to install one therefore the engine will move forward and up. The forward move is probably a plus with no question, but the up is maybe a minus in terms of the center of gravity of the entire boat will move up (not a lot). Well I did not calculated yet but in theory... Is there any thoughts?